deluminators

     about     contact          blogroll     +

     about     contact     categories     blogroll     +

September 3, 2011

Parcels and other nice things

As a result of my incessant online shopping, I feel like I'm always waiting for packages to come in the mail. In the last week, two more have come: a dress from ASOS and a book from the Book Depository.

The dress is really nice, and perfect for our upcoming summer, with a catch: it's impossibly tight across my chest. As in, there is no way I can make it work. I'm not quite sure what to do with it now - I feel like it'd work as a halterneck, but I have no idea how to sew. The shipping cost of returning it to ASOS would be more than half the value of the actual dress. I think I'll chuck it up on ebay when I have the time, although I've never sold anything from there before.

As for the book, I bought The Moth Diaries by Rachel Klein. I only recently heard of it due to the fact that a movie version is being made with Sarah Bolger and Lily Cole. As soon as I realised it was a vampire-story set in a girl's boarding school, I had to read it - that's basically all the themes I love, in one book! It didn't disappoint. It's basically the diary of a 16-year-old girl who suspects that the new girl at school is a vampire, and follows her thoughts as she develops (what we're meant to think is) a mental illness. I loved all the references to Dracula and Carmilla, two of my favourite classic vampire stories - I think the author worked them in really well. I also liked the tone of the story - it was realistic and I found that I could relate to the main character. It gets a bit disjointed and hard to read towards the end, though, which is the point, I suppose. Anyway, I'm seriously looking forward to seeing the film adaptation.

Other things I have been up to this week include:

Putting together a birthday present for a friend, with a bunch of shows/movies I think she'd like.

Catching the moment when the sun hit my "sun catcher" and made baby rainbows on my wall.

Well, that's it for me this week. I have an exam coming up this Thursday, and obviously I've left a lot of studying to the last minute (I never seem to learn) and I've really got to knuckle down if I want to be an improvement on last time's. Hope your weekends are going well.

16 comments:

  1. I love that dress - adorable but chic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on your exam... I really like this post d I think your friend will love your gift.. Your sun catcher is really nice too, it's a cool thing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that dress really looks nice! I hope you can fix something because it's so nice!

    The book sounds pretty nice too, I suppose I'm reading that soon too!

    And good luck of course, on your exam!

    ( oh and the gift looks brilliant, you're one of those people who give awesome gifts... aren't you? ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dress looks lovely (: Just a quick thought if you (or you know someone) who is handy with a sewing machine, you could cut the dress on both sides, sew a pretty lace panel in to add the extra few inches, et voila! The present for your friend looks amazing, so thoughtful (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha- you sound like me, always waiting for parcels to arrive, bringing new stuff in the mail! such a pity about the dress :(

    i keep hearing about "game of thrones" and now i see it in your picture-- might need to watch it :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle - That's a really good idea, actually, I hadn't thought of that. I'll look into getting it done. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck for your upcoming exam! I feel your pain. I have yearly's coming up in the next couple of weeks and here I am .. procrastinating. I always seem to find another alternative to studying. Anyway, I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ahh when parcels arrive, it's like the best day of my life. xx opinionslave
    / twitter: @opinionslave

    ReplyDelete
  9. such a cute dress, pity it doesn't fit =/ at least the asos australia website will be up soon so maybe it'll mean free returns in the future :D xx misstea & co.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the dress !good luck for upcoming exams ! :) mine are coming up very soon to :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. what gorgeous photos! <3 i want to read a good book so much but exams are restricting. ): and oh, the film adaptation sounds amazing, love lily cole! that pressie for your friend is adorable btw. :3 best of luck on your exams, mine are this week too, sigh.
    +i hope you could help me spread the love about the giveaway on my blog, it'd mean lots to me! (: http://discoeyes.blogspot.com/2011/09/first-ever-giveaway.html xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't you just love receiving packages?! I do! Love that dress! Good luck on your test! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Packages in the mail= my form of heaven!
    I love the anticipation and the sounds of door knocks, and bells ringing. There is something magical about opening a box you've ordered. Everything seems prettier in person, doesn't it (^.^)

    Good luck with exams! Love!

    sweetness xx
    hope to hear from you*!
    amyflyingakite.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. That dress looks gorgeous, what a shame it doesn't fit quite right.

    You know, a few months ago I would have sworn blind that vampire stories just AREN'T FOR ME but I seem to be swaying... let us know what you think of it!

    Good luck with your exam! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that dress. It's a perfect little black one. Thanks for sharing the photos and feel free to drop by me too, soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I'll make sure to check out your blog. If you've asked a question, hit "subscribe by email" below or check back for my reply.



Follow Deluminators on Blogger or Bloglovin'.