deluminators

     about     contact          blogroll     +

     about     contact     categories     blogroll     +

November 26, 2012

Hokey pokey

Or what we call honeycomb in Australia. Not sure why, since there are better names for it like "cinder toffee" and "sea foam". Anyway, I love the stuff, so ever since YY linked me to this Nigella video I've been wanting to try and make it myself.



You only need three ingredients: 4 tablespoons of golden syrup (I've heard honey works too), half a cup of sugar and 1.5 teaspoons of baking soda (sodium bicarb). See the video for the details, but basically what you do is heat the syrup and sugar together for a while, then add the baking soda to make the bubbles. Pour it out to let it set (takes about 20 minutes) and then break it up. Some tips from me:
  • To check if the sugar-syrup mixture is ready to take off the heat, use the hard crack test.
  • Nigella pours it out on a flat surface, but I poured it into a cake tin lined with baking paper. I would say this is a better idea, so it doesn't spread out too flat if you didn't get the measurements exactly right.
  • It's quite easy to break up, you don't need a hammer! Just tap it with the blade of a butter knife.
  • To clean up: boil some water in the pan you used to dissolve the residue.
Mine turned out surprisingly well! It tastes just like the honeycomb inside Crunchie bars, except a little too chewy and sticky. I think this might be because I didn't heat it enough, or I put in too little baking soda.


I then decided I'd take out a couple of the bigger pieces...


And cover them in chocolate.

So this is how I celebrated the end of exams. I thought today would never come. Three months of relative freedom ahead of me! 10 days til I leave for the USA! Going to try and catch up with everyone in between work and running errands. Unfortunately, the weather is going to be pretty terrible: hot and rainy. I mean, what can you even do with that?

25 comments:

  1. Yum! I must try this! Ahh, getting the midnight munchies right about now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love hokey pokey ice cream! everytime i go to Perth, i make sure to have the hokey pokey milkshake (with bits of chocolate honeycomb in it) from Wendy's! thanks for sharing this, Jane! <3 i must try it out with some friends hehe xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It look delicious! Especially when it's covered in chocolate ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks amazing. I want exams to end too...3 weeks left - sigh. Have a good trip to the USA - it's rather cold here right now so dress warmly hahaha. I like traveling, but I don't like planes, the small spaces are suffocating and I get slightly nauseous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here in South Africa we call them Crunchies, and I absolutely love them!

    I love your website, so bright and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks nice! Looks easy enough to do but i bet I'll still mess it up - I am rubbish with cooking and baking and making yummy treats! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love honeycomb! Had no idea it had all those different names! :) x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, this looks so good! As ever, I'm so in love with your photographs, Jane! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooh I'd love to try this with some ginger for christmas gifts. straight to pinterest! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love honeycomb! Now following you x
    that-bird.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything is better when it's covered in chocolate! I need to try out this recipe for my friend's upcoming birthday party. :)

    JennifHsieh

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on finishing your exams! I've just got three weeks left, but there's a lot to do in the meantime. I've never heard of that dish before, but it looks amazing. Great idea on dipping them in chocolate! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Honeycomb is amazing, yours looks fab! Congrats on finishing exams too! xo

    http://www.jenventure.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. yum!!! I shall try this, now that I am on holidays and have some freedom! I can't wait to read your USA posts! I hope you have an awesome trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never heard of this! It looks so yummy!
    It's so crazy that its hot where you live and it's freezing here!

    <3Chelsea Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  16. Crunchie's are my favourite! I definitely need to attempt making these, yours look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks like so much fun to make, and delicious! I never heard of this until today, I think I want to try it. Seriously, awesome idea covering it in chocolate, chocolate rules the world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wish I could grab a piece out of my laptop screen. They look delicious and sound really simple to do!

    Enjoy your 3 months off, I am super jealous!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh I've never tried that before! I guess it's not something that's common over here. But it sounds interesting and it looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really like your blog. You could post more things per month.

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh wow, i can't believe it's that easy to make! i might have to try making some for christmas since i don't have any other reasons to celebrate/excuses to make something bad for me coming up, haha. congrats on finishing your exams too, and lucky you going to the states!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. They were showing the rerun of Nigella's cooking show two weeks ago and this was one of the recipes she shared. This dessert is very addictive, so I try to only make it for special occasions. Good thing that Christmas is coming up! :)

    As for you going away to the US, that is great! Where will you be going? And for how long? Also, thank you for dropping by my place, I had lost the link to your blog but now I have bookmarked you ;)

    Hope you're having a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is one of the many, many reasons why I absolutely adore Nigella Lawson.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I'll make sure to check out your blog. If you've asked a question, hit "subscribe by email" below or check back for my reply.



Follow Deluminators on Blogger or Bloglovin'.