deluminators

     about     contact          blogroll     +

     about     contact     categories     blogroll     +

January 5, 2013

New York i

Here's the first set of pictures from my USA adventures! I have a lot of photos from my trip, so this is going to be the first of three (very overloaded) posts on New York alone. This is actually my least favourite set of pictures out of them. Some context, for those not in the loop - this was my both my first time in NYC and first time travelling alone.

Day 1
I arrived at 7am, but spent the entire day at my accommodation, waiting for my delayed luggage. It ended up coming at 5.30, so I technically did have time to explore beforehand; but the only pants I had were the saggy leggings I'd worn on the plane (and I was too emotionally and physically drained to try going out afterwards). However, the day had one redeeming feature: the view of Manhattan from the plane was amazing. The sun was rising while we flew up along the west side of the island; there was just a little bit of cloud and mist, and I could pick out every single building. Probably one of the top ten best sights in my life. I couldn't take a picture, though, because it was seatbelt signs on and all electronics off!

Day 2


I started the day off at MoMA. I was still a little nervous about being alone, and I figured that an art gallery would be a nice, controlled environment where I could get used to the feeling.




This version of The Scream is at MoMA right now.

Untitled
Afterwards, I shopped my way down 5th Ave. Being a Saturday close to Christmas, it was absolutely packed. I stopped by the Rockefeller tree, but I didn't even think about ice skating - with my luck and coordination, I probably would've broken a leg.


I continued down 5th Ave until I got to Bryant Square and its holiday shops. I ate a pretzel and watched more people ice skate.




I finished my day at Times Square. Like I said before, I don't even care what people say about it, I loved it. I'm not sure why; I didn't even go into any shops and I would usually find the lights and crowds oversitmulating, but for some reason I liked the atmosphere.

Day 3

I took the subway down to Canal St and walked around Chinatown and Little Italy.

Untitled
Untitled

Then I shopped up Broadway and explored Soho. The loft buildings are as amazing as everyone says. The shopping's not too shabby either.


The original plan had been to walk up to Union Square, but I was exhausted so I cheated and took the subway. There were Christmas markets here as well. This waffle stall had a long line and everyone who walked past made a comment on how amazing they were, so I decided to give it a go. Not that great, to be honest!


Afterwards, I took a look around the markets and did some shopping at nearby stores.

Day 4

I started off at the Museum of Natural History (well, after accidentally taking the express train up to Harlem). The museum is a really big, imposing building, and the fog made it look even better.



But before I went in, I decided to beat the lunch rush and check out Shake Shack, which everyone raves about. The burger was quite nice, but the cheese fries so-and-so.



I love natural history, so I ended up spending the whole afternoon there. By the time I got to the top floor, jetlag had caught up with me and I was basically as dead as the dinosaurs. I don't think it was even 5pm, but I decided to throw in the towel and just go home. Doesn't matter if it's Sydney or New York, I lead a loser life...

Hope you liked this post... because there's a lot more where this came from.

21 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHA I love your writing and travel-log! I'm very excited for more pictures and stories. I love that you tell so much about travelling alone since I never -really- (only travelling to) have been travelling alone myself. And you don't make it sound bad at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been wanting to travel to new places alone. And by the time I'm seeing your NY post, it encourages me even more.

    Looks like you've had a wonderful trip (those art gallery & museum are amazing).I really adores the night atmosphere there, can't wait to see another post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you went to some cool places
    specially the MoMA (applause for being alone, haha *did you travel by yourself ?* and the Museum !
    great photos and awesome trip

    http://sylviestephanie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes please, more! thanks for making me travel a bit, especially love the picture with the elephants.
    what did you think of the experience of travelling on your own? would you do it again? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still torn about what I think on travelling by myself! It was actually more fun than travelling with friends in that I didn't have to wait up for anyone/slow people down when it came to museums/galleries/shopping, and I didn't have to take anyone else's preferences into account when planning my days. On the other hand, I felt really awkward eating by myself, haha. But NYC was a really good city to be alone in, and I'd definitely travel alone again (probably only in English speaking countries though!).

      Delete
  5. everything looks amazing! love the photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am surprised you did all that in one day. When I visited NYC this fall I checked out 3 places and was like...I'm done *collapses*. I live in the DC area, but the amount of people in DC does not compare to the flood of people in NYC. It is quite overwhelming. I also absolutely adored the museum of natural history. So many bones and funny things to look at. MoMA is my next stop when I go back to visit in February.

    Did you get to eat at Chinatown? It's my favorite place to get xiao long bao and pulled noodles and bubble tea.

    I am excited to see the rest of your NYC trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely put MoMA at the top of your list, it was my favourite gallery out of the ones I visited.

      I didn't end up eating at Chinatown - I'll make sure to do that next time!

      Delete
  7. Wow lovely photos :) I'm going on a school trip to America in March. Shame we can't visit New York. It's an amazing city. Can't wait to hear your next post about USA.

    http://kaleidoscopexhearts.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, it sucks your luggage was delayed! That once happened to my family, it was horrible! At least you started out the day with a great view on the plane. It must have been completely breath-taking!

    So far your trip looks really amazing. I'm looking forward to seeing more :]

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am digging all these pictures, all the posts will be my favorites, it's so nice to see what you did, and I love all the details you put into it :D Just perfect for travel posts. Even though with the delay, you still had a wonderful time and that's the important thing. - I've definitely been putting the stuff and places you been and done on my To Do in NY list. I can't wait for the rest :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. NYC looks like absolute perfection! It looks like you had a fabulous time (: Can't wait for your future updates.

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha! wow really fun post! :D and gosh so many buildings in these photos! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd love to go to New York, it looks amazing!xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I can't believe you travelled alone...that's amazing! I've never thought of doing something like that, but your post makes it seem really quite peaceful. The independence would be incredibly enriching, I'm sure. I like that you visited museums and stuff. And I've always wanted to go to Shake Shack! It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, your photos are stunning. I traveled to New York in July and was blown away- it really is an incredible city. You have a gorgeous blog, definitely following x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooo, so exciting to read all this. It's great being able to recognise places from when I was there! I loved New York. I'm so impressed you travelled solo. I tried to find my way to Brooklyn by myself but after a few hours I had to call my parents - turns out you have to cross the bridge and I totally hadn't. Such an idiot I am! Did you have any family in the States at all?

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have family in NY but I have family in the States I visited afterwards!

      Delete
  16. the musuem of natural history looks so interesting and...quirky even?
    i'm suprised you're still keen to eat american food over here after all those cheesy fries and burgers (omg yum)

    btw you are so cute, not turning on your electronics on planes. i just assume that putting my phone on flight mode is good enough ahhah.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I'll make sure to check out your blog. If you've asked a question, hit "subscribe by email" below or check back for my reply.



Follow Deluminators on Blogger or Bloglovin'.