deluminators

     about     contact          blogroll     +

     about     contact     categories     blogroll     +

January 8, 2013

New York ii

See the first post here. Because there are so many pictures, I've temporarily set my blog to display only one post per page, so it loads more easily on slower connections.

Day 5

Began at the Guggenheim. Photos aren't allowed but I managed to take this one before getting told off. The layout of this museum is the best - it's basically a continuous spiral with art along the walls, so you know you've seen everything (unlike most other galleries which could probably double as mazes). The major exhibition at the moment is Picasso: Black and White, which I wasn't really a fan of, but it was worth going to experience the building itself.


On the way to the Met, I dropped into Central Park and took a walk halfway (okay, maybe a quarter. A fifth.) around the reservoir. That was my only contact with Central Park while I was there, unfortunately. I didn't have enough time, and I feel like a park is somewhere you hang out with other people.


How violent is this? I did sit on the Met steps and pretend I was Blair Waldorf, although I don't think Blair would have eaten a streetcart hot dog covered in dodgy cheese sauce.






The Met is enormous, I think you'd need an entire day at least to just glance at everything inside. I lasted three hours before I needed a change of pace. I ended up doing some shopping in Midtown and grabbing a burger to finish the day.

Day 6

After a brunch of greasy mac n cheese, I went to see the famous Grand Central terminal.


I also had a look around the food concourse and markets before once again making my way to 5th Ave for shopping. The main aim of the day was Top of the Rock, an observation deck in Rockefeller centre.

Untitled

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
The views were bloody amazing. The Empire State building was lit red and green for Christmas.

Day 7

I went downtown and took a cruise around the harbour to start the day. This is the skyline of the Financial District.


Liberty and Ellis Islands were closed because of damage from Hurricane Sandy.


Afterwards, I walked through the Financial District. I wasn't in a photo taking mood, but I really liked the area - for some weird reason, it reminded me of Sydney. I ate surprisingly good pizza at a seemingly dodgy deli for lunch before taking the subway to West Village.


Magnolia Bakery! The shop is tiny and was very crowded. I picked out a chocolate and red velvet cupcake to take home - the chocolate was good, the red velvet not as nice.


I really liked West Village/Greenwich Village (I'm not sure how the areas are defined exactly). I probably wouldn't stay there as a tourist but it's somewhere I'd live if I were in NYC on a more permanent basis. It has a cosy, classy atmosphere, with expensive boutiques I was too afraid to shop in.


Not to mention really good taste in street names.


I walked up to the High Line (which is an elevated park on some old railway tracks). I overheard a kid asking his parents: "where's the park?" I really liked it. It felt like one long art installation.

Untitled
I walked it until I got to Chelsea Market, which I had a peek into. It's pretty cool, but I didn't buy anything.


Afterwards, I sat in the Starbucks across the road and people-watched through golden hour. I was in a really good mood and feeling happier and calmer than I'd been since leaving Sydney. I think the jetlag had worn off and I was finally getting used to the city. The blue skies probably contributed as well.


I went back to Flatiron (close to where I was staying) and had an early dinner (Shake Shack again) in Madison Square Park, followed by shopping on lower 5th Ave. I think this was my favourite day in New York, because I didn't expect to enjoy the places I visited as much as I did.

One final New York post coming up!

23 comments:

  1. You took great pictures! :]

    The museum is used in a movie too, I don't know which though ^^"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow the view of the city is fantastic!! Central park is really beautiful. Since I live in the suburbs, I never really understood why parks were such a big deal. When I visited NYC though...I realize that the only breath of fresh air you'll be getting is in the park!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You would think that after visiting NYC so many times you would get sick of it. I love reliving NYC through your eyes. Lovely posts Jane dear! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh New York City is a dream! ♥__♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. More gorgeous photos, how amazing is Magnolia's x

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my god. i have a deep love and appreciation that is beyond words for this city that i've never been to. <3 the skyline and the buildings are so so beautiful. did you travel there on your own? :) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was travelling on my own for the week I was in New York :)

      Delete
  7. Brilliant photos! I lived the Guggenheim building too, so incredible. When we were the there, there was a Kandinsky exhibit I really enjoyed. We didn't get to the Top of the Rock unfortunately, but the view looks so stunning. Flatiron was such a groovy building too!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww I really want to go to New York.... I'd love to visit the Met! x x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing photos.. Now I don't need to visit NY myself, hehe x

    Thanks for the comment! Those cupcakes (http://indiebyheart.blogspot.fi/2013/01/nanda-cupcakes.html)
    were chocolate ones, with strawberry top and vanilla-white chocolate on the other. YUMMY! :)

    Satu
    Indie by heart

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love reading about your adventures in NYC! Did it ever snow whilst you were there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't snow while I was there, it was too warm! I think it snowed a couple of weeks after I left.

      Delete
  11. Looks like you had an amazing time in NY! I can't believe you sat on the Met steps!!! (I watched 2,5 seasons of Gossip Girl during my winter break so I'm basically calling myself Blair's lost brother; I'm so addicted) I really need to visit New York some day as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. NYC is just stunning, would kill to go to The Met someday! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy (late) 2013 :) Hope you had a good start in the New Year. The pictures all look very good! *-* I've never been to New York (I kinda never wanted to) but these pictres make me wanna go!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are living the dream! New York will be the first place I travel to when I get the moolah.
    Inside the Met looks absolutely stunning and the skyline!!! Ah, I'm just really envious at the moment.
    The photos are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow. By the time I saw the Golden Hour at Starbucks picture I was just so done. I'm gonna cry because that's how much I want to go to NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ohhhhh this is making my heart ache for new york :( i can't even tell you how badly i want to wander around the city on my own and take it all in! super super jealous right now! i hope you had the most incredible time there.

    littlehenrylee

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are little awesome photos!

    http://www.style-drum.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your photographs are always amazing Jane! You need to make a "how to take the best travel photographs" -post! That would be awesome! And I need to go to NYC so bad, haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. boy you sure did get around, that's some miles you've putting in above. i've never experienced ny on such a grand scale like your trip. glad you spent so much time walking and seeing things, Greenwich looks really nice, pricey though i bet. The area near the river looks great

    ReplyDelete
  20. These photos are glorious Jane! They look like they've come out of a travel magazine. I'm so jealous of your visit, New York is up there on my bucket list
    xxx
    Nina from little nomad

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a neat post, my favorite post so far. Loooove every single photographs on this post especially the Central Terminal it looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I'll make sure to check out your blog. If you've asked a question, hit "subscribe by email" below or check back for my reply.



Follow Deluminators on Blogger or Bloglovin'.