deluminators

     about     contact          blogroll     +

     about     contact     categories     blogroll     +

February 12, 2013

Hamilton Island i

And I'm back from the Whitsundays! I actually got back on Saturday but I felt nauseous everytime I sat down in front of the computer (maybe I was too relaxed?). I loved it, even though I hadn't considered myself a tropical island kind of person. When we weren't doing what's shown in these pictures, we were either hanging out in a pool or spa (daytime) or getting very emotionally involved in My Kitchen Rules (evening).

Day 1

It was a little gloomy when we touched down. It rained intermittently throughout our stay, because it's the rainy season there right now. This was the view from our balcony.


Lots of cockatoos around the marina. They're not afraid of humans at all, and will actively try to take your food off you.


Catseye Beach, which was literally about 50 metres away from our accommodation.


Say hi to my buddies YY and Jaz. The water temperature is so warm - think around 27C.


What I didn't really like about this beach was all the pebbles, it hurt to get in and out of the water. Definitely was not conducive to exits.

Day 2

The next morning dawned bright and sunny, perfect for our morning trip to Whitehaven Beach on Whitsunday Island.


On the boat ride there. The Whitsundays are made of so many little islands, it feels more like being on a landlocked lake than the sea.

Untitled
The famous white sands of Whitehaven Beach. Might have been even better if we'd gone at low tide. Whitsunday Island is actually a National Park, so it's protected and there aren't any resorts on it. You could camp there if you wanted to though.


Me!



Look how clear the water is. I just lay down like a beached whale and let the waves break over me for a while.


The tour we came with recommended stinger suits, because it's jellyfish season. The lady I asked to take this picture also took about 20 others - she told us to "move!" and snapped loads of candid shots (as candid as you can be in front of a stranger taking photos of you).


YY and Jaz took their suits off because they wanted to exfoliate their skin with the sand.... which is amazingly fine. Even when wet, it slips through your fingers.


After going on a poolcrawl (there are a number of pools on the island and a lot of them are open to the public), we went for cocktails on One Tree Hill and watched the sun set.


YY and Jaz.



Untitled
We ended up hurrying back before dark because I really, really needed the toilet...


An example of what we had for dinner most nights. Snce it's an island, everything (eating out, groceries) is really expensive. Luckily the others had brought some pasta. I think we did quite well. I'm addicted to instant mashed potato now, but I think I can go without pasta for a while.

Part ii coming up... it was my intention to put all the photos in one post but I just couldn't choose!

29 comments:

  1. WOW I am deeply deeply jealous! Looks like you had an amazing time!!!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely pictures..
    makes me wanna have a beach vacation:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whitsundays is my big dream! nice post, I´m following you, hope you´ll follow me back:)
    xx Vanes

    thebloggerina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. All these photos made me feel like I was on an island paradise. So beautiful, glad to hear you had fun.
    I'm definitely not an island or beach person, but you can't deny the beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow these are really great photos!! The beach looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The idea of a 'pool crawl' excites me no end!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Looks great! :D
    I'd love to swim there! 27 degrees! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks absolutely stunning there - and so relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks extraordinary! Would love to travel there one dayxx

    http://paprikapassion.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  10. how beautiful! it looks like you've had a wonderful time!(maybe I can convince my love that we should go here for a holiday this year - I'll show him this post - he won't be able to refuse!) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful snapshots! Its looks so warm & tropical! I hope you had an amazing time!

    fashionlei styled

    ReplyDelete
  12. The beaches look incredible! The water is so clear and the sand is so perfect, aside from the pebbles haha :P Don't you just love it when the weather suddenly becomes fabulous when you're on holiday? Looking forward to the next post :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love the atmosphere of this island! It looks so beautiful and calming, I love to be around beaches. Your trip sounds so fun despite of having rain on the first day. Can't wait to see the part ii : )
    p s : it's somehow nice reading the first line of this post by the fact that maybe you was too relaxed to be in front of computer after the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  14. SO amazing. That clear water and white sand takes my breath away! Patrick went to Hamilton Island a couple of years before he met me, so he's been and I haven't and I'm beyond jealous! haha x

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG I'm sooo jealous right now haha! your pictures are always amazing... I want to go theeeere boouuh rainy London is boring :/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been looking forward to this post so much. It looks so peaceful and perfect. I definitely want to visit some day. Can't wait to see the next batch of photos :)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. awww i really love the place !!! feeling jealous with you. hehe btw nice view and holiday.

    http://newsabesabrina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I visited the Whitsundays while I was backpackign across Oz, Whitehaven beach feels like walking on icing sugar. It's definitely the most beautiful beach I've ever been to. These pics make me miss it!

    Tara
    The Style Rawr!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. I want to live in this post of yours. Everything is so pretty, pure and fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  20. the beach pictures look amazing. looks so peaceful. i love the blue.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, that looks beyond amazing! I don't think I've ever been to a beach as pretty as that.
    Thanks for the pretty pictures:)

    blueeyednightowl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. This island is amazing, photos are beautiful!!!


    Would you like to follow each other? I've already followed you!!! :)


    http://jesuismonika.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. such stunning, breathtaking sights. it feels like i've been craving for a beach vacation since forever. it looks like you had the best time here! <3 the beach looks heavenly and you look cute as ever in the photos xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't blame you for not wanting to sit in front of your computer after that! Beautiful pictures- it looks so peaceful, fun and like a wonderful beach :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful photos, hope you had an amazing time x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my goodness what glorious photos! I've never been to a tropical island before so I'm just taking all these photos in, it looks so beautiful. I'm intrigued by those stinger suits, we get jellyfish pretty badly in Oman too and they hurt so much!
    xxx
    Nina from little nomad

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks like you had lots of fun! The photographs are just mind-blowing gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I'll make sure to check out your blog. If you've asked a question, hit "subscribe by email" below or check back for my reply.



Follow Deluminators on Blogger or Bloglovin'.