deluminators

     about     contact          blogroll     +

     about     contact     categories     blogroll     +

February 19, 2013

Hamilton Island ii

Second set of photos from my Whitsundays holiday. See part i here.

Day 3

That day was a day-long excursion to (one part of) the Great Barrier Reef (Hardy Reef, I think it was). It was a bit of a gloomy day. When we took a bus down to the marina, it was pouring with rain, and the boat ride got pretty rocky.


The reef we snorkelled at. Right before we were about to get in, a turtle came up to the surface to say hi. I proceeded to squeal "is that real?", which got me a couple of weird looks. It just looked so perfect, like one from a cartoon (I feel like the only other thing which lives up to its cartoon form is the snowflake).


We didn't take any photos while snorkelling (because our waterproof cameras didn't come on time! Grr). But here's one I got with the underwater photographer (had to pay money for this, such a rip). Note Jaz lurking in the background. I actually didn't enjoy snorkelling as much as I expected to. It just felt unnatural to breathe with my face under the water, and my mask kept leaking. But it was fun seeing all the fish and coral, although I kept on accidentally kicking the reef with my flippers...



The above two pictures were taken on a boat with windows at the bottom, so you could see the reef.

Day 4

The next morning, we decided to go for some bushwalking (hiking, basically). Bushwalking conjures up some pretty traumatic memories of school excursions and a terrible Duke of Ed expedition in year 9, but the trail was marked as "easy" and a good view was promised.


It was. Not. Easy. I was wheezing really loudly and about 20 metres behind the others by the time we got to the top. But I was entertained on the way up by loads of tiny little frogs hopping around on the trail (about the size of large cockroaches). I was really afraid of stepping on one.

Untitled
Untitled The view was not too shabby, I suppose. Going down was worse than going up, because it was all I could do from not slipping on the loose rock. We ended up taking the wrong path and emerged on the other side of the island - near a bus stop, so it was okay.


This is a picture of what I wore - my flimsy Topshop brogues, cause I hadn't brought sneakers. They came out without a scratch (just a bit of dirt), and I have a new respect for them.

Untitled
Untitled
After a bit of well-deserved recovery in the spa, we went down to Catseye Beach. We'd been keen for some kayaking, but it was low tide. Low tide on that beach is pretty awesome though (in a gross way). The tide goes out a lot, leaving behind all these rockpools and dead coral and piles of seaweed. These two pictures are my favourites, and I don't even remember taking them.


We spotted lots of little fish darting about and crabs which burrowed under the sand. Jaz disturbed some hermit crabs.




Day 5
No pictures, but we woke up to go kayaking early in the morning before catching our flight home. We weren't more than 100m away from the beach when what I thought was a large clump of seaweed stuck its head up out of the water - another turtle, this one quite big and very close to us. I shrieked again and we watched as it sank back down below the surface, and as we paddled back to shore, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was accidentally hitting other turtles with my paddle.

Overall, I had so much fun on this trip! And I'd never even thought of going there before YY suggested it. I think we spent the perfect amount of time there - relaxing, but our days were packed enough so that we were never bored. Definitely think about going there, especially if you live in Australia.

40 comments:

  1. I just can't with these gorgeous pictures! Snorkeling looks fun but I'm terrified of fish so it would just be pretty traumatic for me! These photos literally look like they come from another world, so hard to imagine so much untouched beauty! Glad you had such a good time
    xxx
    Nina from little nomad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually a bit squicked out by the fish/live sea animals myself, to be honest! It didn't feel real, though, haha.

      Delete
  2. wow, you are so lucky to see the Great Barrier Reef live!:)
    xx Vanes

    thebloggerina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous photo's! I'd love to try snorkelling with the fish time! I did it before at the swimming pool and in the sea in France, but not next to a reef! Lucky you! It looks like you had a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing, everything is so beautiful and different from what I know, and that underwater photo is so good, even if it was probably a rip off, it is worth it as its so pretty and the colours are amazingxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh snorkeling!!! I'm so jealous! It looks so fun. This trip sure looks really relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shame you didn't enjoy the snorkeling as much as you thought but it was a good experience with some top photos. the wall up sounds ace though, frogs rock

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. These pictures are absolutely stunning! Made me feel peaceful... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since long time that I not peek your blog. You have here such a beautiful photos! I love that picture underwater with the fishes.

    Have fun Jane
    and enjoy the mother-nature, The Remembrall

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much fun and looks so pretty! You should definitely make a trip back next time and this time with your water camera! Now I just need to find myself a beach! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the underwater photo! I think it's really cool how technology now has gotten so powerful that you can take pictures in water! Sorry to hear that you didn't get your underwater cameras in time, but it looks like you took some great photos on land =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your underwater shots! These photos make me miss living in North Queensland x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow this is really beautiful!
    The nature is incredible and you
    take great pictures Jane c:
    diving and swimming underwater
    must be a fun thing to do!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos
    http://oppositelipstick.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete
  14. This really makes me want to go traveling!!

    xx
    thoughtsofashelluk.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  15. beautiful! the rocks on the water w/ the mountains in the background- so gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow the underwater photos are so pretty :3 shme about having to pay for them annd the cameras not turning up on time, thts always annoying :<

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome blog hun! I hope you like mine too! Come by sometime and let's follow each other ;)!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. just discovered your blog...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. how beautiful! still in the process of convincing aaron that we need to go to hamilton island for our next holiday. keeping my fingers crossed (and considering organising the holiday anyway, so he can't say no!). lovely photographs, I'm so happy you had a good time :) ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh good luck! I'd love to see your photographs if you do end up going.

      Delete
  20. gosh that looks amazing! i so wish i could be there right now!

    ReplyDelete
  21. loooove your photos. so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  22. beautiful beautiful pictures! I especially like the ones on top of the hill! I didnt like snorkelling much either when i tried, felt better to take off all the gear and simply hold my breath and open my eyes underwater.
    I really enjoyed your little holiday adventures! xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous views. I have always wanted to visit.

    Christie x

    Dark Blue Stripes

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful pictures. :D
    I think the idea of snorkelling is cool, especially seeing the underwater pictures, but I think I'd be too scared to actually do it! I have a weird paranoia that I'll be eaten by a shark haha.
    Aw I did Duke of Ed too! My experience was pretty bad and all I remember is that there were leeches everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The view of the top of your hiking point is so beautiful, I really love it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm too scared to go snorkelling, I'm such a loser but even watching films with too much water on it makes me feel sick (double loser lol).

    Beautiful pictures, love how they're so clean and bright. And at least the photo you had to pay for is really pretty, too.

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow ive never been there but it looks beautiful, sounds like you had a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. it sounds and looks beautiful there! and i know what you mean about snorkeling, it's hard to get used to the feeling of breathing underwater and the masks are always hired ones that don't fit properly, but it's still pretty fun! and i'm definitely on the same page as you when it comes to hiking, haha. i don't even own sneakers and would definitely have chosen the easiest path they had, haha. anyway glad to see you had a good time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, lovely, lovely pictures! I would love to go to a sunny place for a change. I might do that after my year on England - just invest all the money I safed up in sunny holiday places <3

    Lots of love, I hope you have a lovely weekend!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  30. waw, I really like those first pictures! :) and it keeps surprising me how winter in europe can be summer in australia ^^

    ReplyDelete
  31. The view from the top of your hike is sooo beautiful! I'd say it was well worth it for sure! Also I totally understand the ambivalence toward snorkeling, if only because it does feel a bit strange. I did it once when I was about 10 and it forever traumatized me about deep water haha! The photos you got from the experience are so lovely though - it sounds like it was the perfect getaway! x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh sweetie really beautiful photographs looks like a nice trip. by the way i´m following you i hope your follow me bck.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  33. You are making me miss the Whitsundays. Great pictures! Looks like you had tons of fun. I need a holiday asap. I went to Hardy reef too and was sad that the corals seem to be dying - brown and colourless. I guess with more people visiting it, it's hard to stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  34. The first photo is beautiful. I love sitting at the back of the boat and watching the backwash, with the wind in my hair and the sun on my face (poetic and somewhat cheesey, but hey I love cheese). It's a shame your waterproof camera didn't come on time (Can you get water proof casing for cameras? I'm sure you can.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I'll make sure to check out your blog. If you've asked a question, hit "subscribe by email" below or check back for my reply.



Follow Deluminators on Blogger or Bloglovin'.