deluminators

     about     contact          blogroll     +

     about     contact     categories     blogroll     +

July 2, 2013

I scream, you scream

We all scream for... homemade ice cream! Without a machine! I'd always wanted to make ice cream, but never had an ice cream maker. It turns out that there are recipes where you don't need one, and with only two main ingredients - heavy cream and condensed milk. I googled around a bit but ended up using the ratio from this Nigella recipe that YY linked me. I'm sad that presentation is so ugly here, but I don't even have one of those scoopy things at home.


Honeycomb, chocolate, coffee.


Like I said before, I started off with Nigella's recipe but I modified the method a bit. You will need 1 1/4 cups of heavy cream, 2/3 cup of condensed milk and 2 tablespoons of vanilla essence, and that will give you a vanilla ice cream base. Note: I doubled the recipe to get these three containers worth of ice cream.
  1. Pour the cream into a large bowl and whisk it until soft peaks form (i.e. it holds its shape). I hand whisk because I don't have an electric mixer at home, and it takes me 30 minutes (yeah I just put on a movie while I'm doing it). If you're whisking by hand like I am, it's better to use cream straight out of the fridge. Don't get carried away though, because you'll end up turning it into butter.
  2. Add the condensed milk and the vanilla. At this point, if you don't add anything else, you'll end up with vanilla ice cream.
  3. If you want to add something, e.g. cocoa powder for chocolate flavour, instant coffee, nuts etc., add it now, to taste.
  4. Mix everything in and then whisk it again until you get soft peaks.
  5. Put it in a container and then into the freezer. That's all! You don't even have to take it out every few hours and mix it or anything.

This picture shows the texture better. It's pretty much the same as store-bought ice cream. Coffee is amazing.


I also love adding home made honeycomb to a vanilla base. When you add it in step #3, the honeycomb sort of absorbs a bit of the cream/condensed milk mixture and half melts into caramel, but still with some crunchy bits.

I've made this three times and I'm really addicted. It's so bad for you but my excuse is that I probably burn a lot of calories just trying to whip the cream. You could come up with a lot of varieties but these are my standard ones because they're pretty easy to make. Let me know what you come up with if you try it.

37 comments:

  1. You make this sound as simple as 123! I know that if I tried this at home, my kitchen would look like the aftermath of a cyclone haha. I absolute loving the idea of the coffee flavoured one! But omg you know what would be nice!? Nutella 8)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS actually that simple, trust me I'm not the best in the kitchen (there's a reason I never do step-by-step photos). But YES, I can't believe I didn't think of Nutella! We even have some at home!

      Delete
  2. -screams- good job with making homemade ice cream!
    Making ice cream is on my to-do list as well.. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg!! This is really damn good, and I am certainly trying this out this summer! You did such a good job, it's made so easy *squeals*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always wanted to know how to make ice cream! The honeycomb looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like something I'd actually be able to achieve! Looks delicious as well, good job!

    P.s your photographs are always fantastic looking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohmygod! I was just asking my mom today for icecream and you put up an easy to do homemade version! that is just fab! And on anyday im a die hard fan of chocolate...!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that's amazing, I once tried to make ice cream and it turned out terrible and looked like mashed potatoes mixed with oatmeal *gross*. Yours looks so good, maybe I should try again one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks absolutely amazing. I'll totally make my own ice cream soon! Thank you so much for sharing!!

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  9. say wha now, ice cream sans-machine! Look freaking good, especially the honeycomb. I'd be straight on mint, peanut butter and strawberry. Will be pinning this badboy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are really good ideas, trying peanut butter next time!

      Delete
  10. The honeycomb looks so nice! :3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man this looks so delicious!

    Gen | raspberry-notes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This. looks. so. good. You are seriously making me hungry right now-I'll have to try this sometime!

    Little Blue Backpack

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow! really? that's pretty awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, they look delicious! I love coffee ice cream too x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I bet these are delicious! Sounds easier to make than I thought they'd be xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. these look sooooooooo yummy, especially the coffee flavor :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh man, even though it's winter you have me craving ice cream now! I may have to try this with the green tea powder that I randomly have lying around, haha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha cold weather never stopped me! Green tea just might work, let me know how it goes :)

      Delete
  18. Noooo I'm meant to be starting my C25K app in all earnest and be on a diet. Ice cream is my biggest vice I eat that stuff all year round. Thank you for sharing this non ice cream maker version, as a recent graduate an ice cream maker is sadly just not on my cards.
    xxx

    Nina from little nomad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww well maybe whipping cream by hand can be your arms workout?

      Delete
  19. Ok so I just love ice cream but I'm meant to be controlling my suger intake AHHH THIS LOOKS SO YUM JUST WHY T_T

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum!! I've actually tried making ice cream several times in my life time. With no success!
    I remember the whole shakey ice bag approach where you put the milk and flavour in a bag, then in another bag filled with ice and salt and you'd shake it vigoriously until its ice cream... However my bag unfortunately ripped and I just had milky salty ice.

    Thanks for sharing the recipe, you're going to make me wish it was summer sooner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I came across the bag approach, it sounded like it would definitely go wrong if I tried it haha.

      Delete
  21. *_* that looks so good! 30 mins of mixing sounds like it would be very tiring but i guess the end product worth it because you made three!! My neighbor used to have a toy icecream machine before but the icecream we made was so watery. I kinda gave up on homemade icecream after that. This is a recipe is something I would like to try though!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, this looks delicious. I'm so impressed that you made your own ice cream. I usually just get a watery slush when I try, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have to confess something, I have an ice-cream machine that I got for Christmas two years ago and I've never used it! This inspired me to do so!! I will try my ice-cream machine this summer! It's a promise, haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. ohhh wow! okay so double cream and condensed milk sounds like an amazing but also really terrible combination, haha. i wish you hadn't shown me how easy this is, i'm going to be in trouble! also you could make your own amazing flavours to rival messina - rosewater and pistachio, peanut butter and caramel, cream cheese red velvet... i need to stop.

    little henry lee

    ReplyDelete
  25. this looks good ! would love to try

    xoxo
    style frontier

    ReplyDelete
  26. these look super appetizing! I want to try to make some with coconut milk but my stupid freezer keeps filling with ice :(

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow you make it look so nice and easy!! cant wait to try that out!! if only the weather was warmer :(



    http://michetteee.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I'll make sure to check out your blog. If you've asked a question, hit "subscribe by email" below or check back for my reply.



Follow Deluminators on Blogger or Bloglovin'.