deluminators

     about     contact          blogroll     +

     about     contact     categories     blogroll     +

July 9, 2013

Open road

Note: At the moment, most of the images in my past posts aren't working, as I've exceeded the photobucket bandwidth for this month. I will update the links for the front page posts but the rest will be back up in a week (because as if I'm going to give Photobucket any money).

Last Thursday, YY and I took a little road trip down to Canberra under the guise of seeing the Turner from the Tate exhibition at the NGA. In reality, we just really wanted to drive somewhere out of Sydney. None of our friends could make it because they "had plans" or "were sick" (another way of saying "I am not getting in your car"?). We were very mature adults, thank you very much, we stuck to the speed limit and stopped-revived-survived/swapped drivers at appropriate times. The person who wasn't driving was responsible for DJ-ing and played greatest hits from our childhood/adolescence, including the very sassy No Scrubs and the best song to drive to at 100km/hr ever - Bat Country.

Untitled
I'm just going take a second to brag about the glorious winter weather we've been having lately.


Keep your eyes on the road, YY.


Stopping over in Goulburn to see the Big Merino. You can't take a serious picture with a giant ram statue.

Untitled
On the left is Lake George - well, it's supposed to be a lake, but it dried out in the drought.

Untitled
Hello Canberra! For non-Australians who don't know, Canberra is our capital city, but it's more like a glorified suburb that they built because Sydney and Melbourne couldn't come to an agreement as to which of those cities should be the capital. True story.

Untitled
The title is self explanatory... Turner paintings... from the Tate.

Untitled
They took the ambient lighting a bit too far. I'm here to see things.


Heidelberg, where we have been.


I think I enjoy gift shops more than actual exhibitions. This one was very British themed.


After we had a bit of a look around the rest of the gallery (no pictures allowed), we were starved so we went to a Westfield for lunch.


By the time we finished there wasn't much else worth trying to do in Canberra, so we started the drive back to Sydney.


Highlights of the trip back included driving around Goulburn in a panic because we couldn't find a petrol station, and the claustrophobic feeling of driving on a pitch black highway because I didn't know how to turn the high beams on. All in all, awesome day - I ended up with a sore throat from all the singing we did. Who needs a karaoke room when you have a car? More road tripping is definitely on the list for this break.

35 comments:

  1. Australia looks so nice! I wish it wasn't so damn far away from me though :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is so much else to do in Canberra, I promise you! I thought the same before I moved there, and now I've left, I miss it so much it hurts.

    Thanks for sharing, though, this really made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha aww! Do you have any recommendations? I only know of various museums we visited on school camps back in the day.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, sure :) I studied at the ANU for my year abroad, and fell in love with Canberra, however much of a hell-hole people think it is :) (OK, so it's a bit of a hell-hole, but it's my hell-hole, damn it!)

      It has some incredible places to eat. Gus's on Bunda Street is amazing, as is Tilley's Devine Cafe in Lyneham (and, tbh, everything in Lyneham!), Brod Burger at the Glass Works, London Burger on the London Circuit, Debacle Pizza in Braddon... I am a bit of a foodie, as you can probably tell :)

      Commonwealth Park and the Botanical Gardens are gorgeous if it's a nice day, and as weird as it sounds, climbing Black Mountain Tower is totally worth the $7! The views at sunset are incredible.

      I know so many Aussies from outside Canberra who all think the same because of their school trips, but I think it's a horribly under-rated city :)

      Delete
    3. Oh awesome, thanks for all the suggestions - especially for places to eat, cause we had no idea where to go this time!

      Delete
  3. Such beautiful landscape scenery! We went for a drive this feature, should have taken some snaps to share the UK countryside scenery :P x

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg my face is terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you only just realising this?

      Delete
  5. Lol I thought you've said you are going
    to 'Cranberry' but its Canberra haha...
    The first picture doesn't really look
    winter tho! Where is the snow :P
    The gallery looks interesting c: Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen these paintings in the Tate in London, so its so awesome seeing photos of them on the other side of the world! Glad you had a good road trip, enjoy ghe pimms!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beautiful pictures! I've always wanted to go on a road trip, you make Australia look so beautiful!! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. Would you like to follow each other and stay in touch?

    WWW.ROXTHEFOX.COM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look so fun! I love a good road trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, I haven't been to Canberra in the longest time! I think my last visit was for the Monet exhibition, but I have to agree that there isn't much to do there. Great photos by the way, this really reminds me that I need to get my license so I can go on road trips...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love a good road trip!

    I have only made the trip to Canberra once (on the way to the snow) so perhaps I should venture down one day soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ahhh it's been so long since i've been visiting blogs!! i have missed it, really. it's great to see that you're well, Jane! :) i am so so so eager to visit Sydney ah. also the weather looks amazing for a winter day, must've been a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. sadly I know nothing about Canberra other than it being the capital, it doesn't get a lot of coverage really. Big Merino is quite a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your road trip sounds like loads of fun! I should get my licence soon so I can go on one... Haha I love visiting gift shops. :) They have the funniest things sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahahah I love these pictures. You Australians are so weird, driving on the right side of the road. (jk I love you guys hahaha).

    That sky is so amazingly blue! I've been in China for the past 3 weeks and I really miss that kind of sky.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i looove the first picture. the sky is so blue and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha I loved all of your insights! I agree that museum exhibitions with dark lighting are slightly ridiculous but so are the no photograph policies! These days photos should be allowed everywhere (at least I think so lol). It sounds like like you had a blast with your friend, which is all one could ask for on a road trip :) Also I love No scrubs in the car...I played it once for my boyfriend and he was horrified! Haha x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh man, this trip looks damn good. I really didn't know the stuff about Canberra, and to be really honest I actually thought that Sydney was the capital of Australia...oops.

    The 'ambient lighting' (let's be an artwanker again, because, well... i can) is more a sort of precaution for highly valuable pieces of art. A lot of the paintings of the likes of Turner etc are extremely sensitive to light (lux to be precise, har har har) so NGA is probably reeeeeeeally cautious. And about prohibiting photography during an exhibition, that's just plain simple bullshit...

    Aaanyway, your post is awesome. I love how you told a little story with every photo, as if I almost was there. Lunch looks good by the way, real good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, I didn't think of that - feels obvious now that you've pointed it out. I suppose that's fair enough!

      Delete
  18. This sounds/looks like such a fun trip! I'd love to visit Australia one day! I definitely agree with you about transforming cars into your personal karaoke room, as well as stupid museum exhibition lighting haha...

    Your photos are lovely (as always)! It's crazy how nice your "winter" is... Probably nice than the "summer" that us Brits usually experience :-)

    Hope you're well!

    Chloe xxx
    http://www.chloe-tam.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  19. I actually always forget Canberra is the capital of Australia. Your pictures always give me serious wanderlust and these are no exception. Looks like you're having glorious weather
    xxx
    Nina from little nomad

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh your photos make me want to go on a road trip asap! Looks like you had an amazing day. Canberra looks interesting, will have to visit one day! x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like an awesome adventure! I need to do this more! Wonderful photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Whoa the road trip looks so much fun! I agree with the singing along in the car part, it's the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks like an awesome road trip :) the TLC song is definitely a hit from my childhood too haha, it brings back some memories! I love listening to old songs with my friends, it makes us feel nostalgic and happy at the same time. I hope you enjoyed the Turner exhibition, it was at the Tate Liverpool here in England not so long ago - I love the fact the gift shop is British themed for you haha :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. The big merino is just too funny. Now you've made me want to go and get my own set of cool pictures with it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ah, I'd do anything to be in Australia right now. It's so beautiful there. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  26. that actually looks like SO much fun! i love driving around with the music up really loud (yeah i'm one of those douchebags) but my friends and i never do cool stuff like actually going on road trips. i'm going to have to make sometime do this with me soon!

    little henry lee

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I'll make sure to check out your blog. If you've asked a question, hit "subscribe by email" below or check back for my reply.



Follow Deluminators on Blogger or Bloglovin'.