deluminators

     about     contact          blogroll     +

     about     contact     categories     blogroll     +

January 19, 2014

Around town

There are quite a few Europe posts to go so before we launch into those, here are some pictures from Sydney. Sydney Festival is on right now so there are some cool things happening around the city.


I guess I can't stay mad at being back in Sydney for long, especially not when it gives me summer golden hours like these. It's been swelteringly hot lately but the nights are cooler and breezy and nice.



Hanging out by myself in Darling Harbour when my friend accidentally stood me up. I managed to get the most boring gelato flavour of them all (choc chip).


An installation going on for Sydney Festival, called Merchant's Store. It's a giant mirror angled above a building facade laid flat on the ground, so when you lie on it it looks as if you're hanging off the building in the mirror.


Messina is doing a stall at Sydney Festival village with gelato twists on carnival food. This is the gelato equivalent of a corn dog (ketchup is represented by plum sauce). It reminded me of deep fried ice cream.


Near the festival village - Sacrilege, a jumping castle in the form of Stonehenge. We came as it was closing, unfortunately, so we didn't get a go.



More Messina. The hot dog is a milk chocolate sausage in a finger bun and it looks just like a real hot dog, it's slightly disturbing. I'd wanted a candy apple (green apple sorbet dipped in caramel!) but they were out and I settled on an icecream lollipop instead.

So I'm leaving tomorrow for China. To be honest I'm still sort of exhausted from Europe but I'm sure I'll perk up once I'm there. I should still be around as I'm taking my laptop (and I have hopefully worked out how to get on Blogger over there) but if not, I've queued up the posts just in case.

19 comments:

  1. Looks so much fun! I'm so excited for you to go to China, I bet after you get a good rest on the plane you'll be ready to tackle it. Can't wait for the posts Jane! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what is absolutely interesting, I signed up to be a volunteer for the festival, I have sydney festival booklet delivered to my house for a few years... Yet I have never attended a single Sydney Festival event... ever. Somehow, even though studying in the city - I avoided seeing the giant duck in Darling Harbour last year... What is my luck??

    www.rosa-dyn.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks nice, I love the idea of the shop! :]
    Have a good trip to China, take care! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me miss summer so much!! I love the gelato corn! Such a fun idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been meaning to visit Sydney Festival but haven't gotten around to it yet! I definitely need to go just to try that 'hot dog' now haha, that picture alone's messing with my head. Have fun in China, by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah, i love sydney festival time of year! and even moreso because messina is involved this year of course. i had the messinaweiner too but the sundaes they have sound SO good i might have to try one of them before it's over. hope you have an amazing time in china!

    little henry lee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woohoo I think I'm going Sydney Food Festival on Tuesday. I'm so excited and am already planning what I want to order from the Messina stand haha! Also, hope you have a safe flight to China!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you have a great time in China! The sydney festival looks so good, I love the mirror/building installation...such a wonderful idea! I definitely should go out and about more after my deadlines and exams. One more week!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That bouncy castle looks absolutely epic! So sorry you didn't get to play.

    Have a fantastic time in China!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't managed to get myself to the festival yet! Your photos look amazing, have fun in CHINA! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks like so much fun, I'd almost forgot what the world looked like without a ton of snow on the ground and people bundled up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i always love your posts so much. what great photos - you are always eating lovely snacks and that instillation is honestly one of the coolest things i have ever seen! what a great idea.

    rae from lovefromberlin

    ReplyDelete
  13. This gelato thing is mad, what's the crumbs on the outside of it then? I'm well up for trying something mind-bending like that.

    Happy and safe tripping


    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're sort of deep fried biscuit pieces? Hard to describe ha.

      Delete
  14. These are some of the coolest vacation photos I have seen in a long time! I love one with the mirror reflections! Just so neat!

    Rebecca
    www.winnipegstyle.ca

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the Merchant store! So full of creativity and lovely foods!

    ReplyDelete
  16. that installation is pretty neat! safe travels to china!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was in Prague a few weeks ago too! Did you try all the yummy things at the christmas market?! ^^ Safe journey to China!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah yes, the Christmas market food there is the best!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I'll make sure to check out your blog. If you've asked a question, hit "subscribe by email" below or check back for my reply.



Follow Deluminators on Blogger or Bloglovin'.