deluminators

     about     contact          blogroll     +

     about     contact     categories     blogroll     +

February 1, 2014

Paris (again) i

Last time I visited Paris, I left feeling pretty neutral, leaning towards the negative side. I wasn't keen to go back, actually, but it made most sense to pass through Paris on our way to London. Funnily I enjoyed it more this time round (maybe the secret to liking things is to be really pessimistic?). We managed to pack loads into our four days, so it's another two-parter.


Started off by getting in the Paris mood by seeing the Eiffel Tower. And hello Paris in the sun!


We then went to the top of the Arc du Triomphe for the view. Alas, the weather had turned on us.



We hung out until nightfall and saw the tower sparkle.


The Champs Elysees, where we went next, was packed with people (last weekend before Christmas). We walked all the way down it, checked out the Christmas markets, and walked all the way home along the Seine. It was lovely but exhausting.


We were sustained by the thought of the macarons we had bought at Laduree.




On our way to the Louvre the next morning.






Afterwards we popped across the Tuileries for lunch...


At the famous Angelina. The hot chocolate is quite as good as they say, really thick and rich with cream you stir in.


The food is okay, but horrifically expensive. Just one tip from us, don't get the Mont Blanc. Don't get it. It's basically a blob of cream covered by this chestnut icing stuff that you get on cakes at Asian bakeries for a dollar. Seriously.



We then lined up for 2 hours to get into Musee de l'Orangerie, where a couple of Monet's Water Lillies are (no photos in those rooms though, boo). They were gorgeous, though, I love how it was set up.


Afterwards, we walked over to the Galeries Lafayette to see their Christmas decorations.


On Christmas Eve, we went out to Versailles. It was horrible weather, wet and windy, but there was still a huge line to get in. We entertained ourselves by telling people who cut in to go to the end (it was very satisfying).



I'm going to go ahead and say it... I didn't find the interior that impressive. I liked Charlottenburg Palace in Berlin better. The gardens of Versailles were closed that day though.


We somehow reasoned that it would be okay to treat ourselves at Angelina again. I had the most expensive club sandwich of my life, and it was pretty terrible. Don't get it.

And here is where I'm splitting the post, part ii coming up!

26 comments:

  1. -sigh- I love bloggers posting their Paris trip...
    I've read alot about this hot chocolate by Angelina!
    Looks really good and pure c; Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post - love the photos. There are some really great shots here and I love how clear the photos are. Really like all the locks on the gate so much. We do that here in Berlin too :) and all this food looks positively amazing.

    rae from lovefromberlin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to go to Paris too! To bad about the expensive and bad food :[

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those views are out of this world! These pictures are incredibly impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These photos are just amazing. I need to go back to Paris ASAP. Maybe I should go on a solo voyage?

    Joana x
    When You Dream Big

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been to Paris a few times but had never heard of Angelina! Hot chocolate is my favourite thing in the whole wide world so I'll definitely go visit next time I'm there! Thanks for the heads up! x x

    http://www.curiouser-and-curiouser.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bloody love these photos, serious skills and there's no denying. I know you said there's a few bits you don't love, be it sandwiches ( yeah clubs should be massive and with fries in my eyes) and interiors but you still made every reader want to go there.

    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so envious of your travelling ahah! Paris looks wonderfully romantic in your photos. And maybe you're right, if we lower our expectations, we always see the brighter side of things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. Paris looks magical.
    That hot chocolate looks amazing too.

    Jess | Malt Memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous pictures, Paris looks amazing. I've heard a lot of good things about it from friends who had been there, although I heard that it can get pretty pricey there, especially for the food! From what you say, I guess that's true, but it still looks like a lovely place to hang around!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photos. I really miss Paris, it's definitely one place that I want to live for a while, because I'm so used to the crazy city atmosphere. But I agree things are just too expensive over there, even though my nickname is el cheapo. That's why while i was there I just stuck to eating microwaveable meals, baguettes, and seltzer water. And then on a couple of days for a treat I bought crepes, and went to this cool burger place with my friend. I didn't step foot once into any typical Parisian restaurant, maybe next time I will.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So jealous that you;ve visited Paris enough to hate it and then like it. I can't wait to see the world. I feel like as a young person I have not seen this amazing globe enough. And I've had Italian style Hot Chocolate, and for some reason I don't like the thick consistency, it freaks me out.

    www.rosa-dyn.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've only been to Paris once but was absolutely stunned by it. I love your photos and am so glad you included a shot of macarons. They're the most aesthetically pleasing food ever. <3 xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was in Paris in May :) was wonderful <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. The pessimistic approach can definitely work out well that way!
    It does look like a fun trip and I really enjoyed your pictures. Wish I could have seen that Christmas "tree" with my own eyes though<3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jane you take the best photographs! How lovely. I really regret not going to the Paris trip at university when I had the chance. I was broke though and waiting for my loans to come through. My friends went and I heard some negative feedback about rude Parisians although I suppose there are rude people everywhere in a way! I don't even like hot chocolate but my god that looks lovely, usually hot chocolate looks very watery but it looks delicious and thick! Shame about the food not being to your taste, it grieves me when I pay so much for something I could make better myself!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm disappointed by your food comments.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Although I'd rather not go to Angelina right now, these pictures are magnificent! You make me want to go back to Paris!! Looking forward to more, and I'm hoping you're enjoying yourself in China! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. holy mackerel! these pictures are gorgeous. that second picture made my jaw drop! pinning it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I guess Paris may be one of those one time only visit cities, unless you happen to fall utterly in love with it? I had a friend who went there and said she did not like it because it smelled very bad everywhere, but that is not a reason at all. These photos are very beautiful and would make anyone want to go visit! So much fun and beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow these are absolutely beautiful! Love all the colour. x Jazzy at hivenn.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  22. Toutes ces photos sont vraiment très jolies, tu me donnes envie de me balader sur ces grandes avenues parisiennes...
    Bonne soirée :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stunning. Just absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Worth finding! Beautiful pictures. I was also planning a trip to Angelina's for a hot chocolate. Now, I think I may just go for the take away- you didn't sell the food to me! I'm amazed you went for Christmas, it must have been so magical and festive.

    Emma x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I'll make sure to check out your blog. If you've asked a question, hit "subscribe by email" below or check back for my reply.



Follow Deluminators on Blogger or Bloglovin'.