deluminators

     about     contact          blogroll     +

     about     contact     categories     blogroll     +

May 22, 2014

19th Biennale: MCA and Cockatoo Island

I've finally got around to checking out the Biennale. I can't believe two years have passed. For those who don't know, it's an art festival held across multiple venues every two years. On Saturday, I went to the MCA and then Cockatoo Island.


Can't pull into Circular Quay station without taking a photo of the view!


First stop, MCA. I hadn't been in a while.


Colourful floor - Zobop by Jim Lambie.





Ten Liquid Incidents by Roni Horn. Probably my favourite one there. These were glass sculptures, but they looked like jellies! No wonder they had to have an attendant there reminding people not to touch them.


Another one I liked. This was quite a large room, and three of the walls were floor-to-ceiling screens, showing this video. There were cushions all over the floor to sit on.


After meeting up with Wai Lam, we took the ferry to Cockatoo Island. The cold snap a few weeks back was a lie. It's been low-20s warm lately.




Cockatoo Island is an island on our Harbour, it used to be a prison and then a shipyard. It's now a World Heritage site.



This enclosure was familiar from last time, but with a very different piece. It was totally empty, with speakers projecting eerie noises and voices.





Getting my pose on in a little village.


This one was pretty cool. It was an enclosure full of gym equipment that was rigged to make things happen; e.g. when you worked the elliptical it would make the skeleton dance.


The Google train... can't tell you what was in the tunnel because we couldn't get on before the last train.

Overall, I really liked the Biennale at MCA this year, but to be honest Cockatoo Island wasn't as great as last time. We ended the day in Starbucks in Darling Harbour where we totally saw that guy who plays Jaime Lannister in Game of Thrones, haha!

29 comments:

  1. Whoa this art festival looks so wonderful!! Thank you for sharing this, I'm hoping to see more art festivals like this in Jakarta :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks pretty cool! Too bad you couldn't ride the Google train, I am curious to know what's behind the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those glass jellies/ottomans look really neat. Too bad you missed the last Google Train!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great day out! I love modern art - you never know what to expect!

    Also that prison looks a little creepy, but not as creepy as the prison I visited in Melbourne - that was really scary!

    Saskia / girlinbrogues.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures! I haven't had a chance to head down this year, but am looking forward to Vivid kicking off shortly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These pictures are amazing! Looks like you had a lovely time! Xx

    Vividlondon.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe how long the Biennale has been going on for this year and I still can't find a free day to go and see it. It's a little hilarious because I was volunteering on the Island in 2012! But I am going to see it this Saturday. Combining it with seeing Vivid in the same evening too.

    www.rosa-dyn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun! Ah I can't believe it's the time of year for Vivid as well!

      Delete
  8. Looks like a great festival this, some really interesting ideas going on. In fact, I'm digging all of it. The stripe floors, jelly-like pods, Google Train (oh wish we knew what was inside) and the funk skeletons! I would have loved this.

    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so nice you got to attend Jane. Every 2 is a lot of built up anticipation :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I went this year too, it was a really big let down in my opinion. I was really looking forward to cool stuff like the hundreds of bamboo windchimes, but the stuff they have this year just didn't compare. And haha, I missed out on the google train as well because they had run out of tickets

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow!! the google train sounds like fun :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. The google train looks fun! I like the wallpaper (the cloud) so much :B

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow this looks so exciting and fun. I'm not going to lie, if I saw the Ten Liquid Incidents piece, I'd probably feel a strong urge to touch it too, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks really cool, loving the wall art - very surreal! You definitely had great weather for it too which is always a bonus. I'm very intrigued by the door on the google train.... i really do wonder what's inside!

    Lovely outfit too, blue suits you well and thanks for the comment too. Definitely enjoying myself and learning new skills.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ps: i would of totally been way too tempted to have a feel of those 'jelly' like sculptures!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like a amazing festival.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is awesome. Sounds super fun.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That ...'wall of sea' at MCA looks EPIC. But then everything in MCA you show me looks pretty cool. I can't believe it's 'Vivid time' again. One day I'll go see it with my own eyes. :p

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are fabulous photos! I love the colors and shapes of everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Excuse me, but did you really see Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaimie Lannister)?! Swoooooooooooooon.

    That Google train does look intriguing, it sort of makes me want to go to Cockatoo Island just for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did! Took us like 5 minutes to convince ourselves it really was him haha.

      Delete
  21. Wow this looks amazing. I would love to be able to attend the MCA and Biennale. I never really thought of Sydney as very artsy, because people always talk about Melbourne as being the place to be, but these exhibitions looked really wonderful. Really liked the piece by Roni Horn as well as the blue video room and little houses.

    rae of love from berlin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melbourne has the reputation of being more "cultural" but Sydney tries its best, haha.

      Delete
  22. MCA Exhibit was great! I just blogged about it as well as Vivid light festival. So so good!!

    p.s. we totally should go Sydney exploring together

    ReplyDelete
  23. I wanna live in the floor-to-ceiling screens room. It looks so dreamy.
    It seems like such a cool exhibit!ion!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I'll make sure to check out your blog. If you've asked a question, hit "subscribe by email" below or check back for my reply.



Follow Deluminators on Blogger or Bloglovin'.