deluminators

     about     contact          blogroll     +

     about     contact     categories     blogroll     +

July 16, 2014

Milford Sound

Continuation of my New Zealand posts. The reason why we'd driven down to Te Anau was so we could stay the night and then drive to Milford Sound in the morning. Milford Sound is actually a fjord (an inlet cut out by a glacier), and it was called the eighth wonder of the world by Rudyard Kipling. The drive between Te Anau and Milford Sound is also known as one of the most beautiful road trips in the world, which is the reason why we'd wanted to drive it ourselves instead of taking a coach - more freedom to stop along the way and admire.


We started from Te Anau as early as we could after the sun had come up, hoping the ice would have melted. We ended up waiting at a checkpoint for about half an hour anyway, as the lady there said there was still black ice on the roads.



A beautiful place we stopped at.


Excuse my rudeness for not having introduced my travel buddies yet - Tina (fellow driver), Wai Lam and Jenny (lazy unlicensed leeches).






The scenery changes a lot throughout the drive - from forested areas to snow fields, and then winding through mountains.


We had booked a cruise on Milford Sound, which is the main way to see it.



Freezing cold but we stayed outside the whole time. Apparently it's usually raining here.


To get an idea of the scale of this place - look for the boat in this picture.




We then drove all the way back to Queenstown to stay the night there again...


And rewarded ourselves with burgers from The Find (a cute bar) for surviving the long day.

24 comments:

  1. This all looks so beautiful, and a total mirror image but in Winter of my Norway glacier/ fjord trip I've just got back from!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that's what I was thinking about your trip!

      Delete
  2. Oh no, another beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa these are some insanely beautiful views, seriously would love to go here. Was it hard to get to?

    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fairly drive from the nearest major town (Queenstown) but the drive itself is easy. There are buses as well, I think.

      Delete
  4. Far out! These are stunning! I need to go here... how did you plan out the itinerary?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We started out from Te Anau at about 9am, got there about 12, finished the cruise by 3 and then drove back into Queenstown at about 8pm I think :) If you mean the general itinerary for the trip, we just picked out the places we wanted to go to, estimated driving times, and then linked them up!

      Delete
  5. If any of you guys are planning on visiting, there's a good guide to driving there. Chains are essential in winter! http://www.cruisemilfordnz.com/milford-sound-information/30-queenstown-to-milford-sound-driving

    ReplyDelete
  6. W O W! I understand how it is considered one of the most beautiful drives. I love the first, third and fifth photos *-*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! Wow you drove back from Milford Sound? That's quite a long drive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was a pretty long one - we split it between two of us.

      Delete
  8. Wooowww.. I'm seriously stunned by the beauty! It must have been so drop dead gorgeous in real life. You are having the best road trip ever!

    Saskia / girlinbrogues.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I laughed at the unlicensed leeches ;]
    Gorgeous views!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, I think you were smart to drive yourselves so you could stop and check out those mountains! Just breathtaking

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry, this comment is just to address the "unlicensed leeches" AHAH That made me laugh, I'm in a group of friends where we are either Full Licensed/Green Provisionals or Learners. I think theres always the couple of friends who are too lazy to get driving because they can always rely on us drivers. AHAHAH

    www.rosa-dyn.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my god. I gasped when I saw these photos. I can't believe places like this exist and are actually real. Stunning photos and what a gorgeous trip that must have been! It trips me out that you guys are in deep winter at the moment.
    xxx
    Nina from little nomad

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, I confess...I'm a unlicensed leech myself too! But you really wouldn't want me behind the wheel! - This trip though, my goodness I think I need to up New Zealand in my go-to-places. But it's so damn expensive from here TT__TT (or to mention the actual time in the plane, but then Australia - Europe isn't short either.. or cheap) I love love love these pictures, and maybe decide to visit New Zealand through your blog, as I did with your China pictures (which were bloody great too). BUT MANALIVE, JANE THESE ARE PHENOMENAL. (caps was really necessary, sorry)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! Yeah NZ is pretty much the opposite corner of the world for you guys!

      Delete
  14. Amazing photos! You're giving me wanderlust :) following you now sweetie! xx

    http://thepersephonecomplex.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous photos as always xx

    www.roseandmuse.com
    www.roseandmusevintage.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah those mountains, I have serious wanderlust! Looks like a wonderful trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, these photos have so much atmosphere in them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm going there in 2 weeks! My goodness I am so excited now. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I'll make sure to check out your blog. If you've asked a question, hit "subscribe by email" below or check back for my reply.



Follow Deluminators on Blogger or Bloglovin'.