deluminators

     about     contact          blogroll     +

     about     contact     categories     blogroll     +

August 16, 2014

Christchurch

Oh no, they groan. Is she still not done with her New Zealand posts? Second-last one, folks. I didn't mean to drag 'em out for so long, because I feel like this blog loses its context when the first few pages are all travel posts. I just took so many pictures, because NZ is ridiculous. This post is less nature-ish, though, because we finally hit civilisation again after a week on the road.


But first, let me re-emphasise that the South Island has mountains.


Got it? Good.


We stopped at a frozen lake on someone's private property, but everyone had crawled through the fence to walk on it.


Anyway, we made it to Christchurch, where we were staying for the night. With a bit of daylight left, we decided to explore the city centre. It's the largest city in the South Island, and an important thing to know about Christchurch is that it was struck by two earthquakes in the space of six months in 2010-2011, causing extensive damage with fatalities from the second one. Walking around, it is very obviously still recovering and rebuilding. A lot of buildings are empty and boarded up, and it was pretty quiet (it was a Sunday night, though).


The Cathedral, still standing damaged and overgrown (it's fenced off, I took this through a space in the wall).


A shopping quarter with all the stores in shipping containers.



There's also a lot of street art around, on blank and damaged walls. On a quick google I found a page with more that we didn't come across.

34 comments:

  1. I feel like my comments are becoming redundant, but seriously, gorgeous shots. I love capturing landscapes like that where the vastness seems so big. And I promise I will always remember that the south island has mountains :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like these posts are becoming redundant so that's okay, haha! Same, but it's so hard to convey how vast the scenery actually is.

      Delete
  2. Nice shots! :]
    (Have a great weekend Jane!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to see that life is moving on after all the damage and they are making it work. I'm never one to complain about some travel posts ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I imagine there would be a lot of hard work involved in bringing the city back.

      Delete
  4. no. this was completely necessary. new zealand, my heart be still!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear, haha. NZ has the best scenery.

      Delete
  5. New Zealand is absolutely stunning-that first picture, ohmygosh

    Little Blue Backpack

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Just casually driving through/around them was so surreal, haha.

      Delete
  7. That frozen lake! OMG! That's so amazing. I love how it was still so sunnnny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have good luck with the weather most days!

      Delete
  8. With how similar and close it is to Australia, I sometimes forget how much more picturesque it can be. Stunning photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get what you mean, I hadn't even thought of NZ as a place to travel to until recently.

      Delete
  9. I remember studying this case study for my exams! It's so much more beautiful and impressive through your experience though, woah!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Christchurch earthquakes? It was interesting to see how the city is now, I can't imagine what it would have been like in the direct aftermath.

      Delete
  10. New Zealand is gorgeous! I can't wait to go again! xx

    www.roseandmuse.com
    www.roseandmusevintage.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. No way are we getting tired of these! I could look at NZ forever. My friend just got back a few days ago, and my goodness, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear, haha! Hope your friend had a good time too.

      Delete
  12. Hi!
    My name is Ana but most the people (mainly online) prefer to call me Anne. I am a snail mailer from Portugal and I decided to update my blog. ‘Yes, and so what?’ Well, I wonder if you can help me spread the word because I don’t have much foreign readers and I’d love to. So, go check out my blog: http://annemeetstheworld.blogspot.pt/ if you want to.
    I would greatly appreciate your help!
    Oh by the way, I found your blog by coincidence and I loved it. Keep up with the great work.
    Best regards,
    Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  13. those mountains though. I could look at them all day. I'm really enjoyed this posts so don't apologise for mountain-heavy-new-zealand-is-all type posts.


    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha glad to hear people aren't as sick of the NZ pictures as I am!

      Delete
  14. Oh my gosh, the views! I could never be bored with pictures like that, I envy you so much, for being able to breathe that air, to experience that beauty! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about the air, it was actually really nice and fresh!

      Delete
  15. I need to visit NZ after seeing your adventures this past month! I am in love with the landscape and my only partial-ish deterrent is the cold weather haha! Christchurch looks super empty despite it being on a Sunday :o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do! There's always summer, haha.

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. Glad people aren't sick of the mountains but the last post won't have any, unfortunately!

      Delete
  17. I like mountains therefore I LIKE THIS POST. I never ever think about New Zealand as somewhere to travel to (except maybe to go to Hobbiton or Mordor), but you are making me reconsider.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm definitely not getting tired of these posts. I mean, how could anyone complain at these gorgeous shots. They definitely inspire some seriously travel lust! And those shots of the mountains? Just wow.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I'll make sure to check out your blog. If you've asked a question, hit "subscribe by email" below or check back for my reply.



Follow Deluminators on Blogger or Bloglovin'.