deluminators

     about     contact          blogroll     +

     about     contact     categories     blogroll     +

August 31, 2014

Hunter Valley

The other day I took a day trip up to the Hunter Valley with some friends. Hunter Valley is famous wine country, about a two hour drive north of Sydney; we took a train and a bus (had to leave the house at 5am). I haven't taken a regional/longer distance train from Sydney since I was little, so I was pretty entertained.


Apparently, to taste wine, you should 1) take a sip to cleanse your palate, then 2) take another sip and hold it in your mouth to release the flavours (or something like that) and then 3) take another sip, and at which point you can finally appreciate the taste.


The weather was very erratic all day; sunny one minute, pouring rain the next.




The Audrey Wilkinson winery/cellar door is probably the nicest one we visited. It's a beautiful old house on top of a hill, with a view all around the Hunter Valley.


Stopped at Hunter Valley gardens for lunch; we ate at this restaurant with lots of signs for sale and cow puns everywhere.


We then went to a distillery, where they had these cute test tubes for tasting. I'm not the biggest fan of drinking spirits straight.


We ended the day at a chocolate shop, where I bought some fudge that I promptly ate.

Afterwards, we went straight back to Sydney, feeling extremely sleepy from all the wine and food. I can't say my taste in wines changed much, I'm still not big on red wine; although I did find that I liked port, which I hadn't tried before. All in all, was a really good day; nice to get out of Sydney for a change of air and frame of mind.

28 comments:

  1. Ahhh studying dentistry I have grown to hate red wine for what it does to your teeth color, but I definitely love some white wine from time to time. Such a cool trip, dear. It's always great to learn about new stuff and also take new pictures to show us! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I hadn't thought of that about red wine! Good point.

      Delete
  2. Looks great! I don't drink alcohol so I'd probably be at the chocolate shop :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I would say I enjoy chocolate more than wine too.

      Delete
  3. Great post! I’m Jenna btw, I’ve got a little blog about positivity and all things motivational, self-help, beauty, fashion, and lifestyle. I would love if you checked it out! :)

    http://www.livenpresent.com
    x Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah this looks like a great way to spend a day! The chocolate looks splendid too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures, are alive and newspapers. Most such like.
    Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum. (except for the straight spirits...I'm with ya) lovely day trip! tasting wines is such an art..I feel so pretentious whenever I go through all the steps while the waiter watches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I should do this next time I'm at a restaurant.

      Delete
  7. i hate the wine drinking rules, kinda snobby to me. they you end up getting caught up in the snobbishness yourself ahhhh!

    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I've never asked to taste a wine in a restaurant before ordering it, I should try it next time.

      Delete
  8. I've never been to a wine tasting, it more about the beer here but I haven't been to a beer tasting either haha. It's our new goal to try a selection of beers before we leave Belgium. Looks like a nice day out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beer tasting would be fun! I'm more of a beer person than a wine person.

      Delete
  9. Ooh so much chocolate. Yeh, I'm not a big fan of wine either (or alcohol generally) though I didn't mind the sweet wines (can't remember the name of it now). Sounds like you had a good day :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Jane, you always have fun trips, whether it's a short or a long one!
    Hunter Valley looks nice, even though I'm not really a wine person :P
    The last photo is a dead link for me :c Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's odd, it shows up for me! Thanks for letting me know.

      Delete
  11. Now all I can think about is having a glass of white wine with a chunk of delicious brownie.
    Oh damn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I've never actually had dessert wine with dessert before.

      Delete
  12. wow looks like such an ideal place for wine lovers!!! love the pictures
    have lovely week ahead
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, wine lovers are probably more deserving of this place than me ha.

      Delete
  13. I used to be not big on red wine too but it grew on me, but I still love riesling the best. I love that wall where you had lunch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love the hunter valley! i don't drink so the wineries don't do much for me but my aunt & uncle have a hobby farm up there and i have all these nice memories of going there with family every so often and at new years when i was little, and it's great that it's only a few hours from sydney but it's so relaxed and chilled but there are still fun things to do there. it's a great place.

    little henry lee

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I'll make sure to check out your blog. If you've asked a question, hit "subscribe by email" below or check back for my reply.



Follow Deluminators on Blogger or Bloglovin'.