deluminators

     about     contact          blogroll     +

     about     contact     categories     blogroll     +

August 22, 2014

North Island

This is, finally, the last of the New Zealand posts! I probably shouldn't have done a post for every day we spent on the South Island but I just took so many pictures. For our last three days in New Zealand we swapped the mountains of the South Island for the rolling hills on the North.


We flew to Auckland, but hopped in our hire car straight away and made for Rotorua.


We passed through Matamata on the way, where the Hobbiton set is. We'd decided against visiting the set, because it's quite pricey and we're not die-hard LOTR fans.


This is what the tourist information centre looks like though, cute.


Our first stop in Rotorua was the Redwoods. Definitely a sight to see!


There's me, for scale.


I took a lot of photos, but as you can tell, they all come out kind of the same.


After a visit to the Polynesian Spa, we went to a pub near our hostel and ordered way too much food...


The next day, we went to Wai-O-Taupo thermal park. Rotorua is famous for its geothermal activity - the whole town smells vaguely of rotten eggs. The colours are the result of different minerals.




It looks better in photos, which are zoomed up to all the colourful bits - it was mostly steaming grey water.


A pond of kryptonite.


A bubbling mud pool nearby - it was cute how it went gloop gloop gloop and made patterns.


We hit the road again, to spend the night in Hamilton on the way back to Auckland.


It's a university city/town, and while it was sort of quiet there were lots of restaurants and bars. We found a nice one, but I just had a caesar salad because I was still feeling gross from the night before.


It was desserts specials night, so we went in for it.

The next morning we drove back to Auckland, and then flew home. Phew, New Zealand posts over!

41 comments:

  1. You're making me really tempted to book tickets to NZ in the upcoming midsemester break ahhh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahah! it takes time, for sure, but it's such an amazing hobbie! I love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like seeing what people send through snail mail but I just cannot make anything pretty with my hands haha.

      Delete
  3. I feel like I'm being repetitive, but it sure looks great! :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay I feel like I'M being repetitive with these posts

      Delete
  4. Ahhhhh, I loved LOTR so I'm really jealous you got to see (even it was just a glimpse) Hobbiton!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't go to the actual set - Matamata has just decided to take the name hahaha

      Delete
  5. Wow the colour in that pond is amazing! Looks like such a fun adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was my favourite colour to there!

      Delete
  6. The forest looks incredible! Did you like the south or north island better? I personally loved the South Island however so many backpackers seemed to be quite fond of the North Island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't see that much of the North Island, I'm going to say South because I think it'll be difficult for anywhere in the world really to rival that scenery!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the post! I'll have to reference it if I'm ever travelling to that part of the world.

    7% Solution

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum those desserts look so good, especiallly the creme brulee. I wouldn't have gone to the set either, I'm not a huge fan. But I've had friends go, and it was great seeing how happy they were. You make me wish to travel to New Zealand.

    ROSA-DYN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NZ is really close and easy to travel as Australians! Put it on your list :)

      Delete
  9. I know you said it looks better in photos, but everything in New Zealand, including those ponds, are so beautiful! Ah, New Zealand is definitely on the to-go list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely go, it's so much better in real life :)

      Delete
  10. The forest looks amazing! It looks like pencils for some reason :P
    And those ponds/pools looks interesting o: And it's ok to eat a bit
    more than usual because you are on holiday after all! Thanks for
    taking us to NZ through your posts! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha they do, now that you mention it!

      Delete
  11. I've not kept up with your travel posts but it's so great to see you still exploring and New Zealand is definitely on my travel list. The bubbling pit of mud seems interesting, it seems like one of those weird things that you could look at for ages because it's strangely satisfying to day dream to! Have you ever watched Flight of the conchords? To be honest they sell New Zealand pretty damn well :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You described the mud pool perfectly, haha. No I've never watched Flight of the Concords!

      Delete
  12. Great place and food :D

    WWW.PUTRIVALENTINALIM.BLOGSPOT.COM

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've very much enjoyed all these photos! I really want to visit a redwood forest, they are such amazing trees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are, and so old too (I think)!

      Delete
  14. Your photos are stunning! It looks like you had a great time - those thermal pools look amazing!
    Have a lovely weekend!
    xo April Everyday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks April! They were pretty cool (and stinky).

      Delete
  15. man so that's it for NZ posts then, well I enjoyed them loads. The colours in that lake/pool/thing are pretty crazy.

    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete
  16. New Zealand is a gorgeous place, I'm glad you had fun! Super jealous you saw Hobbiton, seeing the set or not x
    britishmermaid.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hobbiton would be awesome if you were a LOTR fan, I reckon!

      Delete
  17. A thoroughly enjoyable series of posts! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Glad you really enjoyed Switzerland! The thermal park is pretty scary but super interesting! Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New Zealand ;) It would be pretty scary but everything was fenced off, wouldn't have wanted to fall into any of those pools ha.

      Delete
  19. Oh no how sad, don't let these post go away! Such a beautiful country it is, and I wonder how is the food?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We ate pretty well, we actually came across lots of nice places!

      Delete
  20. This place looks straight out of a movie or something. I'm just expecting some sort of mystical creature to live in these photos! Ah, I definitely enjoyed your series on New Zealand. All of your photos were beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually is, they filmed most of the Lord of the Rings on the North Island of NZ!

      Delete
  21. What a beautiful place and such amazing photos!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I'll make sure to check out your blog. If you've asked a question, hit "subscribe by email" below or check back for my reply.



Follow Deluminators on Blogger or Bloglovin'.