deluminators

     about     contact          blogroll     +

     about     contact     categories     blogroll     +

September 22, 2014

Around the World Blog Hop


I got tagged by Jane over at Always With Yoo for this blog hop! Jane blogs from the US of A and her cosy corner of the net is about her daily adventures, her home, and her dog Piri, who has the most expressive eyes I've ever seen on a dog (or possibly any living creature). Here are the questions!

1. What am I working on?
This blog! The only other thing I'm working on right now is my research paper (I guess the dissertation/thesis equivalent for my degree) and I don't want to talk about it, I will actually cry (I cried over it last night).

2. How does my work differ from others of its genre?
I guess in that it's pretty genre-less! Generally I classify it as a lifestyle blog but I don't really give lifestyle advice (and wouldn't recommend my lifestyle to anyone anyway). Like Jane mentioned though, this makes me feel a bit self-conscious about blogging because I can't really explain it to people who don't often read blogs. From what I've been seeing, everyone's getting a bit jaded of having particular niches for their blog and moving towards a more lifestyle approach, which I like because those are my favourite blogs to read.

3. Why do I write/create what I do?
Well, I started the blog because I liked taking photos and I needed a place to show them off. I began reading other blogs and I found that I generally enjoyed ones about people's everyday lives, so mine slowly went in that direction. I do it now because it's a good creative outlet, I just love the whole process of taking and editing photos, and then putting posts together. I also love connecting with people through blogging! Comments are like little inbox surprises, you guys totally get me.

4. How does my writing/creating process work?
Most my posts are photo-centred, so I take the photos (from a day out, travels, outfits etc.), edit them, and then write up the post. I'll have my DSLR with me if I'm going to some sort of interesting place or event, but otherwise they're photos from my phone. For my wordier entries, I usually have the draft sitting in my head/on Blogger for a while and I'll keep editing it until I like it. I'll then take a photo that goes with the post and put it online. I used to have a lot of trouble with the writing bit in posts, but it's been getting easier and I'm starting to enjoy that part more. Oh, I also preview my posts loads of times to make sure everything looks right.

I'm passing the baton to these girls for next week! I thought I'd ask some bloggers who are craftier than me and might have other projects going on.

  • Mei from Ice Pandora. Mei is from the Netherlands and she's always making cute things that look edible but actually aren't.
  • Mani from Eat Your Teacup. Mani is a fellow Sydney girl who takes great photos but her real strength possibly lies in DIY-ing really professional looking pencil cases and mugs.
  • Philippa from Cocoskies. Philippa is from the UK and does the prettiest watercolour paintings that remind me of candy (explaining my weird "I want to lick the screen!" comments on her blog posts).
What are you guys working on right now?

35 comments:

  1. Lifestyle-ish/personal blogs with lots of pretty pictures
    are my favorite type of blogs so keep up it Jane c:
    Thanks again for the tag ^___^ Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cute tag! Like jane, I'm from the US too :) lifestyle blogs are always my favorite, and I definitely preview my posts 1000x before I post them, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hitting the post/update button is so stressful, like, what if I haven't fixed everything yet?!

      Delete
  3. i like lifestyle blogs as well! i realized that while i was getting self conscious i realized my favorites were the ones that read like diaries :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't help but still feel self conscious, haha!

      Delete
  4. It's so hard to define blogs these days, and in a way, that's great! One day I want to talk about fashion, the other beauty, and the other a book I picked up.

    Saskia / girlinbrogues.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I love blogs like that! I think the main reason I feel self conscious about it is cause there's no real "point" to it, I do it for the love of blogging itself and I can see how some people won't get that.

      Delete
  5. Ha love this! Our writing/creating process work is the same. And good luck for your thesis! I'm working on mine as well (aaaaah can't wait to get this over with).

    Dear Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suffering together good luck with yours too!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I wouldn't have thought of it as a process if I hadn't sat down and done the tag!

      Delete
  7. No, I definitely think your blog is a lifestyle blog! But yessss, these are the best types of blogs to read.
    And you're writing a dissertation?! Wooow. That's heavy. Good luck with it, Jane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I've been bludgeing all year, I only have myself to blame...

      Delete
  8. I loved reading this tag! Never seen it before. I love the photos you make! Good luck writing your research paper. Hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monique, I'll need that luck :)

      Delete
  9. Lifestyle blogs happen to be my favourite too! I just think the personal touch makes them so much more fun to read. Thanks for the tag by the way, these should be fun to answer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to see how you interpret it!

      Delete
  10. What a fabulous tag - good luck with your paper, I'm sure it will all go wonderfully! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennie, that's what I'm hoping for...!

      Delete
  11. Awh, what a cute tag! I must admit that I love the photos on your blog. I'm glad that you share em' with us! And I totally agree that lifestyle blogs are such a fun read. Although, I think it's because I'm a bit nosy x)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES haha I am also a very nosy person

      Delete
  12. I posted a post for these questions today too! post-snap!

    My writing process works the same, I like to take the photos and then add the words. I keep a bunch of random non specific photos for other posts that jut require words, like this one haha. Although I always run out of them!
    I really enjoy reading about other peoples lives, so it seem logical for me to write the same :)

    Great answers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah my posts don't feel right without a photo so I sometimes I pull something non-specific out of my files to go with them!

      Delete
  13. I love this! I'm always interested to get a little behind-the-scenes or put a why to friends' blogs. I'm the same way - I find the photo part easier/more fun and have to pull the words out of me sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pulling words out of me sounds about right!

      Delete
  14. I love reading interviews like these! Really gives me a good insight into your mind
    And I agree with commenting on blog posts. I get super happy when I see I've got 1 comment haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah I've always liked focusing on commenting as engagement!

      Delete
  15. Nice to learn more about you! To be honest, writing is the least favourite part when I blog... I prefer to show my photos. And that's what I am currently also working on: improving my photography skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's same for me! At the same time though, blogs that have very little writing don't engage me as much.

      Delete
  16. You probably know this by now, but I have to say I always like your writing that accompanies your pictures. You're always so neat and witty, haha.

    Also, I totally feel you about that research paper, I'm working on my thesis too right now (just started a few weeks ago) and its pretty hell-ish, heh... So I hope things are going good on your side and that hopefully, maybe, the end is near? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise :) Ah hope yours is going well too!

      Delete
  17. And now we know a little more. I agree, "lifestyle" blogs are my favs, especially the ones that cover travel - which is something I want to move into more. If I can travel and write about it, then heck that's the dream right?

    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Although I felt a little bad posting about travel so much this year, I know not everyone is able to do so often so I feel a bit braggy sometimes.

      Delete
  18. "wouldn't recommend my lifestyle to anyone anyway" SOLID.
    I think the reason why I love blogging so much is because it allows me to force feed my photos to my readers, even if the photo isn't beauty related. And, comment notifications totes make my day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I'll make sure to check out your blog. If you've asked a question, hit "subscribe by email" below or check back for my reply.



Follow Deluminators on Blogger or Bloglovin'.