deluminators

     about     contact          blogroll     +

     about     contact     categories     blogroll     +

October 30, 2014

For the dead travel fast


Thought I'd do a Halloween-related post! I have always had a thing for vampire books - and before you jump to conclusions, this started before the Twilight era. Anyway, since I have a vampire section on my bookshelf, I figured this would be a good time of year to talk about it!

  • Dracula by Bram Stoker. Not pictured here as I've lent it to a friend, but this is one of my favourite books. It's full of cliches, but that's because it started all those cliches. It has such a good atmosphere and it's not hard to read.
  • Carmilla by Sheridan Le Fanu (part of In A Glass Darkly). This is the short story which actually influenced Dracula, and doesn't get enough credit. It's just so gothic and fun to read, and has a lady vampire as its focus.
  • The Vampire Chronicles books by Anne Rice. For some reason I used to really like her books, I guess they were the most famous series of vampire books for a while. Looking back, I don't know how I made it through them - they get really long-winded. My favourite is Queen of the Damned, which is the most readable one in my opinion.
  • The Moth Diaries by Rachel Klein. I enjoyed this one, the main character is a 16 year old in an all-girl's boarding school, and the way it's written makes it quite relatable. I liked all the references to Dracula and Carmilla too.
  • Anno Dracula by Kim Newman. I bought this without ever having heard of it before because the premise was too good to pass up - a retelling of the Jack the Ripper murders, based on characters from Dracula and a whole load of other vampire novels. It's really fun if you've read a lot of the stories that are referenced.
  • Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula by Loren D. Estleman. Yeah... don't read this. It's terrible. No regrets buying it though - Sherlock Holmes and Dracula? I felt like it belonged on my shelf.
  • Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead. Ending the list with some teen fiction. This series has a snarky, kick-ass heroine (I want Rose's ability for lightning-quick comebacks) and it's not an overly sappy or cheesy read (it got a bit too romantic for me at the end). It's better than it sounds, and much better than the covers make it look.
Anyone else into vampire books? Or just books on a particular topic?

21 comments:

  1. I've got dracula on my phone too! Never got around to really reading it though, I think I've read about 20/30 pages? Doesn't quite read nice on your phone, does it?

    Probably should look up a few of these books and give it a go!

    Did you see Dracula Untold too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I forgot about Dracula Untold! I'll probably watch it online.

      Delete
  2. I'm on the picky end with the supernatural genre, but if you read manga, Vampire Knight had one of my favourite vampire concepts when I read it a few years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks, I've never read manga though!

      Delete
  3. What a great idea! I loved Dracula but it's the only one I've read in the bunch. I'll have to check out the rest. I really like Anne Rice so maybe I'll pick that one up next. It's amazing how creeped out you can get reading a really good scary book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that most of these ones aren't outright horror, but still creepy in the atmosphere created.

      Delete
  4. great choices! i don't think i have ever read a vampire related book. oh wait.. oh yeah.. there was the twilight series. i don't know how i ever finished those books.. i saw a little bit of the movie that played on tv and i think i might've lost some brain cells watching it. it's not a book, but i do remember enjoying watching vampire princess miyu - it's a japanese animation :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I really loved the Twilight series for a while :s I haven't heard of the vampire princess animation before!

      Delete
  5. Haha I've read Dracula by Bram Stoke back in
    the highschool. I didn't finish it though......
    I'd love to read Vampire Academy though c:
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah luckily I didn't read it in high school, it would have probably ruined it for me!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I was racking my brains for a Halloween themed post and this was the best I could come up with, haha!

      Delete
  7. Good question... I don't think I have ever read any vampire book! But at least I have watched movies and TV shows on this topic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a good/cheesy vampire tv show/movie as well!

      Delete
  8. Very nice list! I've been saving my copy of Carmilla so I can sit down and devour it tomorrow;)
    I've also been wanting to read the Moth Diaries, but having read what you had to say about it, I guess I'll read Carmilla and Dracula first.

    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely read Carmilla and Dracula first! Hope you like it :)

      Delete
  9. It took me such a long time to warm up to the vampire craze and I'm still on the fence about it, but I've recently read the 'Blood of Eden' trilogy which is a YA Fantasy, and it was a fantastic read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will give it a go! I love some YA.

      Delete
  10. Oh! Thanks for these books. I just finished reading mine and I'm kind of back reading my old books looking for new books :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was immediately drawn to that Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula. But thanks for telling me not to! ;) (by the way, I love the look of your blog atm!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I'll make sure to check out your blog. If you've asked a question, hit "subscribe by email" below or check back for my reply.



Follow Deluminators on Blogger or Bloglovin'.