deluminators

     about     contact          blogroll     +

     about     contact     categories     blogroll     +

October 10, 2014

How to get through the day

I'm not talking about how to get through a good day. I'm talking about one of those days that you've allocated to yourself to try and tackle the mountain of work you need to do. This is one for all my fellow uni students going into lockdown over assessment deadlines or stuvac for exams in the coming weeks.


I may have rearranged my mess to make it more photogenic. And that chocolate may have already been all gone...

1. Sleep in, but not. When you set your alarm the night before, set another one an hour earlier. That way, when you're cruelly wrenched out of dreamland in the morning, you still have another hour to either sleep or wallow in bed - because the bed is always more comfortable after your alarm has gone off.

2. Make sure you get up at a reasonable time. Reasonable time meaning that it shouldn't be lunchtime when you've finished making and eating breakfast, because that gives you an excuse to go straight onto making and eating lunch, and before you know it it's 3pm and you haven't done anything but eat.

3. Keep refuelling. Allow yourself unlimited cups of coffee or tea. I find that coffee gets me into the working mode, but I don't drink it if I'm already feeling worried about what I need to do, because I don't want to encourage my fight-or-flight response. I also ration myself an entire block of chocolate for the day, but maybe don't do this because I think it's given me two big zits on my face.

4. Schedule in a good lunch. This means you have something to look forward to during the course of the morning. Even if it's the kind of food you can order, pay for, and receive without getting out of the car. The process possibly involving eating most of your fries before you've made it back home.

5. Run away from your problems. It depends on your own circadian rhythms, but I find the "afternoon slump" is pretty common. At this point, I usually go for a run. That way, even if I've done zilch so far, I can feel like I've at least improved my cardiovascular system, you know?

6. End the day with you-time. Switch off from your extremely productive day by doing something else, e.g. catch up your favourite blogs (which obviously includes this one), write a blog post, read in bed, watch an episode of a TV show you like, swipe left a few times on a certain app to reject potential suitors...

N.B. Don't do this everyday. And if studying at home isn't working for you, I find a change in scenery helps.

45 comments:

  1. I so need this. Being a student is hard. There is always something you should be working on and I think your tips are great. Eating regularly and not sleeping the day away oh and me time at the end of the day is essential. I'm obsessed with whipping out my kindle and reading before bed now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading before bed is my favourite time of day! Sometimes when a book is to gripping it cuts into my sleep though, haha.

      Delete
  2. I think your advice is spot on when it comes to revision time. I think what matters most is knowing what time your work best at and arranging your day to maximise that. I know I work really well from about 7/8am in the morning until just before midday. I'll get up and get on with work as soon as I'm up and ready, take breaks as and when I need them and then probably take the afternoon off, or at least a good chunk of it. I might find myself ready to work again late afternoon, but I always stop for the day before I eat dinner.
    Jennifer x
    http://www.ginevrella.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true! My best work times are morning and then very late at night, which don't work too well together unfortunately.

      Delete
  3. Nice tips! The first one about fooling yourself into thinking you're sleeping in, that's my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I only just found it when I woke up an hour earlier to make sure I hadn't messed up during daylight saving starting.

      Delete
  4. I love these tips! not sleeping in is something i really need to work on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, I hate the feeling of wasting the entire morning!

      Delete
  5. This advice was nothing like what I was like at uni. Sometimes I just worked all night and got up at normal time, I enjoyed it though.

    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'm good with working til maybe about 1am, but not after that!

      Delete
  6. It's a big juggle. I finished my degree full time, while working full time. The only thing that got me through was seeing that I was paying for it on my payslip so made me determined to make it count. Sweets work too!

    www.ohheyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uni full time and working full time sounds brutal, good on you!

      Delete
  7. I think these are good tips for people that work at home too. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had them more in mind for cramming students, but I guess it would work occasionally for people working from home too!

      Delete
  8. Thank you - this post is exactly what I needed to read. :)

    xx Nicole Rose

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these tips, so helpful! Never thought about giving yourself an "extra" hour. I will definitely try that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turns out it might be bad for you!

      Delete
  10. The lunch tip is a great idea! It is like a nice little reward!
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food is firmly linked with reward in my brain, unfortunately!

      Delete
  11. needed to read this right now! thank you v much Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is good advice, I'll definitely be needing it soon haha! I tend to try doing as much as I can in the morning, because after that it pretty much goes downhill... Good luck with your assessments by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I can never do anything in the afternoon! Thanks Mani!

      Delete
  13. Great tips - all about taking it easy but being firm on yourself. The struggle of uni.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post is amazingly accurate!! Thanks for the great advice and I'll keep this in mind next time I have something I need to cram for. Wow. If I think high school's hard, I really don't want to see uni...

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uni work is harder but uni life is much better!

      Delete
  15. Omg, number two is totally me, hahahaha. And lunch usually follows me wallowing until dinner, which I then promptly make and eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously haha I pass whole days just eating...

      Delete
  16. Exactly what I need right now since I have tons of works to do for uni. I totally agree with your tips, haha like we need to have a me-time to keep us inspired for the remaining works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, can't let ourselves burn out.

      Delete
  17. Good luck to those who all need it.
    The alarm thing is actually pretty bad. If you set another one a hour later, you kinda get sleepy again (has to do with sleep hormones and stuff), so if the alarm goes of a hour later, you will only feel more sleepier. Best is to set one alarm, and if it rings, get going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really! Good to know, I hadn't noticed that!

      Delete
  18. Studying is something I need to learn to do well at. A change of scenery seems to be the only thing that works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately it's starting to become true for me too, but sometimes it's less convenient to leave the house!

      Delete
  19. When I was studying I used to weak up really early in the morning, have breakfast and then go directly to my books. I found that around 12pm I had to take nap to be more productive (just half an hour, the donkey nap as I like to call it lol ). Naps are important. I would have lunch and then after a whole afternoon doing stuff I would end up at 8 and would go to bed early

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like such a good routine, I need to go to bed earlier (I write at 2am!)

      Delete
  20. Great advice! If only I could get myself to work out in the afternoon... If I could schedule life, I'd live it best by getting up at 9 am and sleep at 2 am...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that sounds good, I feel like I always sleep for way more than 7 hours when I go to bed at 2 though!

      Delete
  21. this is the best kinda post - i love organising my time and getting stuff done!

    from helen at thelovecatsinc.com

    ps. enter my new giveaway to win raybans worth £129! click here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm good at organising my time, but not so much with the actually getting stuff done part haha!

      Delete
  22. Even though I finished my school and stress and
    schedule is pretty much gone, getting up early
    is a yes-go! And lots of tea too c: Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah it's so hard though, I've been breaking all my own rules these past few days haha.

      Delete
  23. that's a great idea when you're procrastinating to give yourself the option to take a break but forcing yourself to exercise. that way i'll probably just do the thing i'm putting off, or at least do something productive (and probably necessary) like exercise! i wish someone had given me that idea when i was at uni but i'm sure it'll come in just as handy when i'm doing things like job applications once i'm home again, haha.

    little henry lee

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I'll make sure to check out your blog. If you've asked a question, hit "subscribe by email" below or check back for my reply.



Follow Deluminators on Blogger or Bloglovin'.