deluminators

     about     contact          blogroll     +

     about     contact     categories     blogroll     +

October 20, 2014

Night Noodle Markets

We hit up the Night Noodle Markets in Hyde Park tonight. This happens for about a fortnight every year as part of Good Food Month, and is supposed to emulate an "Asian hawker market" (I guess that's what all the supposedly "Asian" decorations were for). It's pretty overpriced and overcrowded - there are many cheaper places to get whatever kind of Asian food you're after - but you go for the novelty and atmosphere. We managed to snag a table but it was crowded, so it might be a good idea to bring a picnic blanket if you want to sit down.


I went for Korean BBQ tacos (tacos?!) from Poklol which were actually really good. I liked the beef, the pork was a bit too spicy. I also added two pieces of Korean fried chicken, which weren't very impressive (better fried chicken at Arisun!).


Thank YY for this very well composed picture of me gazing longingly at my tacos and chicken.



My dorky friends eating their tacos.


YY with her nasi goreng (there was nothing vegetarian at the Korean stall), dressed in all black with her black bowl. My camera was confused and it overexposed.


I got some curry puffs from Chinta Ria (I have a weakness for curry puffs, I've found). The pastry was really good.




Afterwards we went down to Hot Star in Liverpool St and split a giant piece of chicken, fried mushrooms, and sweet potato fries, and then finished off with churros at Oliver Brown.

So in terms of life news, I handed in my paper on Friday and then skipped town for the countryside for a couple of days to celebrate/unwind with some friends. Now that the research part of my year's over, I'm actually going to be busier because I'm starting class again and have a set timetable to follow (what do you mean I have to show up somewhere every day this week?). I'll see how I go!

42 comments:

  1. This Night Noodle Market is totally my kind of hotspots :D
    What a bummer to hear that there were 0 veggie options
    at the Korean stall :c but were the curry puffs veggie?
    I hope so! Lovely pictures as usual Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were indeed so YY was able to get some too!

      Delete
  2. This looks amazing, such a great atmosphere with all the lights and so many people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe a few too many people but still good!

      Delete
  3. I would have enjoyed visiting this event! The food looks very appetizing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would have! As appetising as it can possibly be for outside food haha.

      Delete
  4. Korean BBQ tacos sound like the perfect fusion street food! Those toppings! Looks like such a fun food market (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally turn my nose up at fusion food but they somehow worked really well!

      Delete
  5. On the bright side you got a table! No one ever gets a table. Win!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a relatively clean table too! Nice one us.

      Delete
  6. The upside down umbrellas above the stage are beautiful. We had a fake Asian market near where I lived and everything was so expensive there too. It's crazy how much people mark up the prices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously! Especially since Asian food is generally quite cheap and still good.

      Delete
  7. Oh my, I kind of regret not trying the Korean tacos when I went now! I have to agree that it's way overpriced, but I guess it's worth going for the novelty alone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a nice change from picking a single restaurant!

      Delete
  8. Congrats on the paper! My friend just handed hers in too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH.MY.GOD. Curry puffs?! It's a shame that I've never tried such thing. The Korean tacos look delicious too! I'm so envious of you surrounded by scrumptious food...! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta try them! I only recently discovered my love for them.

      Delete
  10. Is the chicken at hot star good ? I've been meaning to try, but I've also been meaning to eat healthier too haha.

    Congrats on the paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO GOOD! Take a couple of friends and split a piece, haha!

      Delete
  11. That looks like fun! I've been to two Asian food festivals in my city, but always find it really hard to decide what to actually eat, haha.

    Good luck with your busier schedule! I hope it'll be fun work too though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really crowded we just picked the closest one with a reasonable line haha!

      Delete
  12. Omg this looks so delicious and charming! Love your striped ensemble as well. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks like so much fun! Are you doing an Honours project?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't exactly an Honours project, it's a research project I needed to do as part of my degree requirements :)

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Same, didn't know Korean BBQ ones would work so well haha.

      Delete
  15. the food looks so amazing. and yay to submitting your paper!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We're exploding with the whole Taiwanese night market idea too. The food is hit-or-miss and tends to be more Chinese-inspired, since that IS where the idea is from. My market didn't have too many Korean food options--I want that fried chicken though!

    Good luck with the new part of the school year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These markets had a good variety, East & South East Asian food mainly. And thanks Kristina :)

      Delete
  17. Yum that looks so tasty! and I'd say skipping town for the country after finishing a paper is a grand way to celebrate :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yummmm! this looks amazing. Adelaide totes needs a place like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you guys get something similar soon!

      Delete
  19. Food market looks amazing! Love the photo of you gazing into your tacos – some say I love food more than any boy I have ever dated ;) xx

    Tee
    Rotten One

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loving food than any boy is fair enough, I would say!

      Delete
  20. ALLL THAT YUMNESS IS MAKING MY BELLY GROWL!!! Curry puffs are really my thing too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Korean tacos are sooo good. If you ever drop by Chicago - gotta check out Del Seoul - they make the best bulgogi tacos!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Curry Puffs, never heard of these little wonders!

    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I'll make sure to check out your blog. If you've asked a question, hit "subscribe by email" below or check back for my reply.



Follow Deluminators on Blogger or Bloglovin'.