deluminators

     about     contact          blogroll     +

     about     contact     categories     blogroll     +

January 20, 2015

Americas haul

Finally getting the traditional overseas shopping haul post up! Not a lot this time, though. I didn't buy much in South America (I never do for the first parts of a trip, since I don't want to add too much to my luggage), and I didn't get many souvenirs either. I think I've outgrown souvenirs - I've run out of space to put them in my room, and I guess I consider the photos I take as souvenirs.



  • Leopard print sarong. I bought this from a beach vendor in Rio, where everyone uses sarongs for the beach rather than towels. I probably got ripped off for what is essentially a giant piece of rayon, but I guess I will be able to use it as a scarf this winter.
  • Victoria's Secret bra. I just wanted to buy something from VS because everyone talks about VS and we don't have it in Australia. Is that not a good enough reason? It's actually really comfortable and well-fitting.
  • Tommy Hilfiger short-sleeve button down. I love button downs but I didn't have any short sleeved ones for warmer weather! I got this pretty cheap at an outlet.
  • Fossil cross-body bag. I still feel guilty about this, it was a massive splurge by my standards, and bags are not usually what I funnel money into. I had been looking for a small cross-body bag and I'd seen this in Sydney, but had written it off as too expensive. We came across it in Macy's and after some currency converting calculations and a lot of dithering, I bought it. I've been using it every day on hospital placement though, so I guess the cost per wear will work out.
  • La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo - The US version of Effaclar Duo is benzoyl peroxide based, rather than salicylic acid based like the one you get in the UK/Europe/Australia. Benzoyl peroxide is more effective on my blemishes, which stopped responding to salicylic acid when I was about 14. I'm not sure why it's different there (is benzoyl peroxide less restricted?) - I probably should've stocked up. From what I understand, the US one is more of a specific spot treatment while the other one is more used to prevent and unclog.
  • Revlon Colourburst Balm in Sultry. My lips have been too dry to wear the only lipstick I own (MAC Russian Red), but I'd been missing being able to wear some colour on my lips so I got this matte balm. It's not very moisturising itself, but I can wear it for a while without needing to smudge proper balm on top.
  • Rimmel mascara. I needed a new mascara and this was cheap.
Okay, so I guess I omitted the multi-pack undies and socks I bought at Costco, but that is just too unglamorous for even this old blog. Also note that this is the first time I haven't come back with something from UNIQLO, ha!

Thanks for the well-wishes for uni from the last post guys <3 I'm already feeling a little less panicked and settled in.

19 comments:

  1. I love the Fossil bag! It's a good size and looks like it would fit most things besides your dslr so don't feel guilty about it haha :P. Sometimes I feel like if I buy an expensive item that I really like, it will restrict me from buying another item of the same use in the future - usually works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm good point, that is very true!

      Delete
  2. Lovely bit of shopping Jane. I really like texture of that shirt - oh and the colour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great crossbody bag. i rediscovered them a few years ago and i haven't been able to go back to any other bag!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be honest with you I don't recommend the Rimmel mascara, I don't know if you will end up liking it but I definitely didn't because it was kind of uncomfortable applying it. It's just my opinion, overall I really enjoyed your haul and so jealous that you went to america haha.
    my blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm I don't use mascara that often actually so I haven't really noticed anything with the application!

      Delete
  5. I really like that Fossil bag! Also love your excuse for getting a VS bra. Didn't know VS didn't exist in Australia. The bras are great there, some can be a bit on the pricey side though. (Who has enough money to afford a $75 bra these days?)

    Tee @ Rotten One

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice purchases! We don't have VS where I live and each time I travel to the US, I stock up on bras and underpants.

    www.LUXESSED.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing what people pick up on holiday. :) You definitely showed restraint which I very much admire and need to learn for myself...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That button-down is so cute! Love the dotted fabric. I'm still searching for the La Roche Posay cream, but I can only find it online :c

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually get my stuff online, off Escentual!

      Delete
  9. That bag is so pretty and looks like a such a good investment

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great purchases Jane! Totally understand how you feel about souvenirs, but I can't help but to get a lot because of my travel box. Hooray for a VS bra, they are truly the best! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the button down and the bag :]

    I visited the VS store once, on Schiphol Airport, I was a bit disappointed. It didn't look as great as I thought it would be, but perhaps it fits really nice. I hadn't got the time to try it out though :/ Perhaps next time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I still buy souvenirs, to be honest. And just like you, I'm starting to run out of room for them. I love the bag - I'm a huge fan of crossbody bags :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is that a button down? Does it button underneath. Love those types of shirts when they're short sleeved.

    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your bag, it definitely looks like it was worth the investment <3 xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I live in Columbus where VS is headquartered! We actually have stores here where they sell Victoria's Secret returns for like 70% off. It's pretty cool! Sadly, I've never found that their bras fit me very well :(

    COOCOO FOR COCO

    ReplyDelete
  16. i'm not totally sure why the US has a different formulation of effaclar duo but it probably is something to do with chemical restrictions, even though i feel like benzyl peroxide seems like a stronger ingredient than salicylic acid but that's good that you know what ingredients do and don't work on your skin because i happen to love the european/aus formulation of effaclar duo, but it's a shame you can't get the kind you like here. also the revlon matte balms are awesome and for a matte formula they're really non-drying compared to a lot of brands i've tried, and especially MAC's matte formula which i love but it's super, super drying.

    jessica - littlehenrylee.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I'll make sure to check out your blog. If you've asked a question, hit "subscribe by email" below or check back for my reply.



Follow Deluminators on Blogger or Bloglovin'.