deluminators

     about     contact          blogroll     +

     about     contact     categories     blogroll     +

January 2, 2015

Impulse/planned

I have a strict set of rules when it comes to clothes shopping, and I'm pretty good at sticking with them, if I do say so myself. In general, I don't really shop spontaneously, and I have a sort of list in my head that I stick to. But sometimes I end up really glad I've broken my rules, or conversely, wonder why I ever had anything on my list in the first place.


I'm so glad I impulse bought these:
  • Whitepepper smock dress. This was on sale and before I laid eyes on the sale price I had no plans to ever buy a smock dress. But the price reduction marketing technique sucked me in, and it was love at first wear. My current favourite summer dress.
  • UNIQLO Ultra stretch jeans. I'd already been in possession of a perfectly good pair of UNIQLO skinnies when I bought this, but I like UNIQLO jeans so much I wanted a backup (this was before it opened here). They're actually a lot tighter than the other pair and I've been wearing them equally depending on the outfit (I'm probably the only person who notices the difference).
  • Muji striped dress. I was in Hong Kong and bought this out of desperation to buy something, because who goes to HK without buying anything? I was questioning whether this even looked good on me, but this turned out to be my favourite dress of this past winter.
  • ASOS baseball tee. I liked it for the contrast collar, but I was wary of buying it because I thought it would be a fleeting trendy thing. I'm so glad I got it though, I love wearing it with my navy jeans/pants/skirts.

What was I thinking?
  • UNIQLO oxford shirt. Is a crisp white button down not on every wardrobe-basics/5-piece-French-wardrobe/essentials list ever? I mean, I can see why - in theory, you can wear it in so many ways. In practice, it just doesn't work on me - I always end up looking like I'm wearing a school or waitress uniform. It's probably my general awkward vibe.
  • Topshop midi skirt. I talked about it here. I thought I'd be able to wear it with all my tops, but it looks super awkward with button-down shirts.
  • UNIQLO silk shirt. I talked about it here a few weeks ago. I'm mainly too afraid to wear it because of its sheerness.
  • UNIQLO cropped trousers. I love my navy trousers, and I wanted to up my trouser game, so I bought a grey pair in China. But I always just choose the navy pair.
Note that 3/4 in the second section are from Uniqlo. Maybe I just get too excited in there. Do you guys plan what you're going to buy, or just wing it at the shops? Any times where basics you must own lists have lied to you?

This is a scheduled post, I'm currently overseas. I'll be reading all your comments via email but won't be able to reply until I get back. If you have any burning questions, you can email me. Happy New Year guys, I'll be back in a couple of days!

34 comments:

  1. ahh, midi skirts can be a bit intimidating at first and years ago i never thought i'd wear them but now i do it all the time! i think it's really important what kind of shoes you wear with them. i often wear low heels which suit the vintage vibe i'm going for, but they also just give you a little bit more height to avoid looking like you've got cankles/making you look really short. i still wear midi skirts and dresses with flats all the time but if that's something that bothers you that's a way to get around it. i'd also avoid boots and lace up shoes because covering up the feet too much makes you look shorter unless you're REALLY going for a vintage look (i.e. bobby socks and oxfords) which you're probably not.

    another thing that can be weird about them with say a button up shirt is it can look like you're too covered up and it feels a bit pilgrim-y but if you wear a round/lower neck t-shirt (maybe red & white striped?) or i really like to tie up the shirt i'm wearing, if it's button up then tie it in the middle or if it's not then i tie a knot on the side and it doesn't actually show your midriff at all but it just draws attention to the waist which is more flattering, for me anyway. i definitely can't wear anything baggy with them because then i just look frumpy so as far as i'm concerned there are rules but once you get a feel for them it's really easy to work around. of course i get that we're going for different looks, but hopefully this helps if you want to give that skirt another shot. :)

    jessica - littlehenrylee.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOAH you are the midi skirt expert! Hmm shoes are probably contributing, I wear boots with it but as you say it makes you look short, my only other pair of shoes I could wear are my loafers which I feel makes it look even more old ladyish haha. I will probably give tying my button-downs a try, hadn't thought of that! Thanks for all the tips :)

      Delete
  2. I have bought a lot on sale recently, some blouses, tops, dress, and some second hand skirts. I'm really happy with all of them :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good! I feel like sale browsing can be dangerous, haha.

      Delete
  3. A couple of suggestions for the "what was I thinking" pile:

    Throw the Uniqlo white oxford over the smock dress as a loose coverup

    Wear the Topshop skirt with knits instead of cotton buttonups/starchy or stiff cottons
    - I think the skirt's waistband is too soft, which is why it gives you that awkwardness. I would cover up the waistband area with a longer top or only match soft tee shirt like materials with it.

    I don't remember if you ever had red Converse/Jack Purcells but I could see the gray trousers/chinos with red sneakers. Or TOMS if you own those. Roll up the ankle, toss on your baseball tee :)

    Happy New Year Jane!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mention it, the white shirt could make a good coverup (maybe for the beach too?). I will have to be careful to try to avoid looking like a 90s boyband member haha.

      I have only been wearing t shirts with the skirt, but Jessica above mentioned tying a knot so I might try that too!

      Hmm red sneakers would be so fun with the trousers! Unfortunately I don't own any :(

      Delete
  4. I'm beginning to think that midi skirts are just there to trick us - they look like they'll go with everything and look super chic, but they don't seem to do that at all! ox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha seriously! I will take on Jessica and Kristina's suggestions though and report back.

      Delete
  5. I love The Whitepepper and am obsessed with that denim smock! I wanna see it on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did an outfit post with it when I first got it but I think it deserves another one soon!

      Delete
  6. Ughhh uniqlooo. 90% of my closet is probably uniqlo stuff now. I am so easily suckered in!! Love their stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAME! Now that they Sydney store has opened though I have a bit more time to think on what I want from there haha.

      Delete
  7. Love the first dress!

    Happy New Year also :)

    Tabby x
    www.ofthesaints.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, hope you had a good one :)

      Delete
  8. YES UNIQLO! You have awesome taste by the way. I have the silk white blouse and and black jeans you have listed here! I find that the sheerness of the shirt isn't too bad when paired with a skin coloured bra. It looks great worn casually over the black jeans by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clothes twins! The one nude bra I own doesn't match my skin exactly so it still looks a little weird haha!

      Delete
  9. lovely post :) happy new year!
    www.jchung.me

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your choice of clothes; very clean and classic! These are items that you can wear for many seasons to come.

    www.LUXESSED.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is what I intend when I buy my clothes but my taste changes pretty quickly so who knows!

      Delete
  11. Aww, I love your clothes. It's simple yet very classy. I have yet to check out UNIQLO... I have a feeling I might genuinely like their items.

    Also, I got a wee bit excited when you left a comment because I thought you were back from your trip, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Uniqlo because their stuff is so basic anyone can wear it and make it work, if you know what I mean?

      I am back! Spent yesterday catching up on blogs, trying to sift through my photos to get a post together haha.

      Delete
  12. Love that ASOS baseball tee! And I have yet to try UNIQLO pants, only have their tops. Am definitely looking into some new black bottoms!

    Tee @ Rotten One

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the ultra stretch jeans they have, they're super comfy!

      Delete
  13. I love your clean and basic style Jane c:
    and I heart Uniqlo and I so so so hope
    to have a store here in The Netherlands
    someday! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mei :) Ah if they've opened in Australia they should in The Netherlands!

      Delete
  14. Ooh I love that smock dress! Sometimes impulse buys are the best!
    Have a great weekend!
    xo April Everyday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad I impulse bought it!

      Delete
  15. I love the simplicity of these. hope you had a fab holiday break - happy new year! xxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the pictures! I honestly need to find a pair of black pants that fit me, and the perfect baseball tee is just the thing for a relaxed day :)

    Emily // ahemitsemme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to wear the baseball tee with trousers and nice shoes to try and get away with it in more formal situations too haha!

      Delete
  17. i love this post! i know exactly how you feel about planned/impulse buys haha :)

    www.undersizedcloset.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I'll make sure to check out your blog. If you've asked a question, hit "subscribe by email" below or check back for my reply.



Follow Deluminators on Blogger or Bloglovin'.