deluminators

     about     contact          blogroll     +

     about     contact     categories     blogroll     +

March 26, 2015

Little black classics


As you've probably seen, Penguin has brought out these Little Black Classics to celebrate their 80th anniversary. They're $2 each here in Australia, so I couldn't resist popping by Kinokuniya to pick some up. I ended up choosing three that I'd read before, but didn't have on my shelf.

  • The Tinder Box by Hans Christian Andersen. I love Hans Christian Andersen fairytales - they are far superior to the Grimm Brothers ones. I used to have a three volume collection of all the stories, but I don't know where they got to.
  • The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allen Poe. The writing in his short stories is just so over the top, I can't help but laugh while feeling spooked about what's actually happening. I remember someone reading The Black Cat aloud during a sleepover in high school (obviously we were all highly intellectual) and freaking us all out.
  • The Yellow Wall-Paper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. It's a disturbing short story about a woman who's confined to a room by her doctor husband and suffers a mental breakdown - a critique of the medical oppression of women in the 19th century, when it was written.
I considered buying a few more, but none of the other ones really sparked my interest. Check them out if you want to pick up some books for cheap, they'd make nice gift-box-fillers too I reckon.

22 comments:

  1. I picked up The Tinder Box too, gotta love a good fairy tale! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. how do I send you money so you can buy me something from that series? we do not have anything like that in Poland :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can get them online here, I think bookdepository ship for free worldwide! http://www.bookdepository.com/search/advanced?searchTerm=&searchSeries=582760 For some reason they are more expensive on there than from a bookstore, but I think it will still be cheaper than postage from Australia :p

      Delete
  3. This was a nice reminder that I need to pick some of these up - they're only 80p here in the UK :) Really need to see if I can scout out the Hans Christian Anderson copy Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought a whole bunch of the orange classics, just because they look beautiful all lined up on a bookshelf. Shame they are still stuck at the bottom of a packing box, but they are there for when I want to stack them somewhere. Great idea about gift box fillers!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg the covers are so pretty! maybe it's a cue for me to really start buying penguin books. the tell-tale heart has been on my list for pretty long time.

    xx http;//tanaditya.co.vu

    ReplyDelete
  6. these are beautiful! good job, penguin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, these books are so pretty. The Tell Tale Heart will always be one of my favorite classic reads. I just love the dark tones in it. Really intoxicating. Plus, I just adore your blog! So glad I found it :)
    Enclothed Cognition

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely intrigued by the last book, will check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm totally jealous that you have a Kinokuniya near you. When we lived in NY I always went to the one near Bryant Park. Loved just hanging out there :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look so simple and sleek - usually I'm not a fan of minimalistic/modern covers for older books, but I love how they did these. I can't stand anything scary at all though, I'm such a baby!

    I recently bought a new book (which I haven't done in a few years, at least) - it's Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut. Can't wait to start reading that one.

    becky ♡ star violet

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always liked the design of Penguin books! I'd just buy them for the sake of the covers.

    www.LUXESSED.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I already bought one too :) (A Cup of Sake beneath the Cherry Trees) It was quite pricey on the book depository. As it turns out the bookstore in my street has them much cheaper. But thankfully they were out of the one I had already ordered, haha.

    Anyway, might pick up the Yellow Wallpaper too at some point Heard great things!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gosh, these covers look so nice! Even though I should probably get through the books I already own I'm a total sucker for matching covers, plus the fact that their $2 doesn't help either haha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. $2 *grabs wallet and shoes*

    They have such a nice design too! I've always liked the orange ones but in black they're just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These all sound super interesting.
    Need to get them! Especially The Yellow Wall-Paper. Sounds grim.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. The design of those books is fabulous, so elegant and appealing. I was reading from cover to cover the only The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allen Poe, but other two books seem to be quite interesting as well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Poe has my heart! Ever an inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete
  18. ah, i love the penguin classics, i didn't realise they'd brought these out. short stories aren't usually my faves but it's always worth a look to see what titles they've brought out like this. and for $2 there's nothing to lose.

    jessica - littlehenrylee.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. love these covers, so simple! They let the words speak for themselves :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I'll make sure to check out your blog. If you've asked a question, hit "subscribe by email" below or check back for my reply.



Follow Deluminators on Blogger or Bloglovin'.