deluminators

     about     contact          blogroll     +

     about     contact     categories     blogroll     +

May 24, 2015

Byron Bay

I took an undeserved study break to make the drive up to Byron Bay. It's a small beach town on the north coast of NSW, popular with tourists and drunken teenagers post-exams. I only went up for a day, but it has a similar atmosphere to Queenstown NZ in that it attracts a younger crowd, but swapping out the snowboards for surfboards. It also reminds me a bit of Venice Beach in LA with the hippie culture, but with a smaller town feel.


My first stop was doing a walk through the Cape Byron State Conservation park, part of which is a coastal walk and has really nice views.



The weather was slightly dodgy, half sunshine half rain, but I reckon clouds like this make for better pictures. They turn out nicer than a flat cyan sky.


Very Romantic sort of lighting. Byron Bay was actually named after Lord Byron's grandfather, but a bunch of streets are named after other poets, like Keats and Tennyson.


One of the lookouts in the Park is the most easterly point of mainland Australia (as shown by the E).


That's where the most easterly lighthouse in Australia is.


The beach on the other side of the cape. Look at those waves!


The walk is a loop track, so instead of doubling back I continued on. The rest of it goes through this forested area, though, and was pretty much devoid of people - I started thinking about how if I fell and broke my leg no one would find me, I could get stabbed and mugged and no one would hear my screams, I hadn't told anyone I was coming to this exact spot- oh wait, there's the road again.



I went to the main street to find some lunch.


Had a pastrami sandwich and indulged in a lemonade at The Eatery. It was really nice, but I may have been biased by how hungry the walk had made me.


Afterwards I went to the main beach, at the end of the main street.


Just chilled out watching people chill out for a while.

It would be cool to come back here in the summer, when it's warm enough to swim, with a bunch of friends. The nightlife would probably be fun as well. But alas, I was alone and feeling antisocial and had a two-hour drive back to make, so I left in the early afternoon.

26 comments:

  1. What a beautiful and peaceful looking place :D Seems like a lovely place to visit! ♡

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a stunning place, those waves <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. The most eastern point of Australia and what a gorgeous point is it!
    I agree that taking photos on a less sunny day creates another different
    pleasant look in photography!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super lovely photos especially with the clouds.

    Do you think it is as great as everyone says it is? It seems to be one of the more common places to visit for tourists yo Australia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm I guess for overseas tourists it sort of encapsulates what people think about Australia, with the laid-back surf beach thing, which is why it attracts them. Personally, I thought it was a nice place but not amazingly exciting and different - to be fair though, I was only there for a short time.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely place to enjoy a day off studying. Those landscapes are gorgeus

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ocean and those cliffs are just too beautiful, looks like such a peaceful place to come and get some space!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice walk and view! Did you went by yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, I'm doing my rural term in a town nearby right now!

      Delete
  8. What a gorgeous looking spot. I read many blogs from Australia these days and am getting more and more intrigued by the idea of visiting one day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful place! Australia has some of the most incredible beaches. I seriously need to visit soon x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nothing wrong with doing it solo, look at all the ground you covered, with no one slowing you down.

    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh you definitely have to go back and stay for a night (when it is warmer). St Elmo is a really great tapas restaurant with a great vibe… you'd find plenty of great restaurants/bars to enjoy if you went back with a friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. such a lovely place! wouldn't mind to spend an afternoon there. the waves *-*

    xx http://tanaditya.co.vu

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks fantastic, almost unreal! Definitely worth the two-hour drive.


    LUXESSED

    ReplyDelete
  14. the sandwich should be bigger indeed :) beautiful photos of wonderful places, once again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow the views there are just fantastic! All the people sitting around in the grass with guitars definitely reminds me of Venice Beach.

    COOCOO FOR COCO

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great photos! I'd love to visit Australia one day...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those waves are gorgeous! I agree with the partly cloudy skies, plus a little bit of sunshine peeking through makes the sky a lot more interesting. I need to start exploring my city by myself sometime. It's always nice to go with friends, but I love that you can take your time when you're alone.

    becky | star violet

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! I am jealous that you are able to take a study break and go drive to a beautiful beach! I am no where near a beach although I would love to take breaks to go to them. Although... I would probably take too many hahah! I hope you had a nice recuperating time :)

    Olivia | Her Name Was Celebration

    ReplyDelete
  19. This makes me want to drive out to find some cliff-side views near me. :) I really like your beach/water compositions.

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh i love the colors in these photos~ so refreshing and soothing~

    ReplyDelete
  21. That beach looks so peaceful...such a stunning place! Beautiful photos!

    http://ourruins.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. i haven't been to byron since i was a kid but it would be really nice to go back and see what it's like now. i imagine the weather would be nicest in summer but i'm sure there are also a million tourists and teenagers, etc that make it less chilled. i guess i'd have to go as an adult to find out, but i'd really like to.

    jessica - littlehenrylee.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I'll make sure to check out your blog. If you've asked a question, hit "subscribe by email" below or check back for my reply.



Follow Deluminators on Blogger or Bloglovin'.