deluminators

     about     contact          blogroll     +

     about     contact     categories     blogroll     +

December 9, 2015

Winter reading roundup


I haven't done a book post in a while! Here are a few books I've read since that last post, over the tail end of winter and spring. No particular theme to the books this time, a pretty mixed bag.

The Tortall universe books by Tamora Pierce. I was obsessed with these fantasy books when I was ten, I don't know what made me think of them again but I did a massive binge on most of them. My favourite series are the Song of the Lioness and Protector of the Small series (women kicking ass in male dominated fields, literally), but I have a soft spot for the Immortals books as they were the first I read, all those years ago. It's interesting to re-read a series you read when you were younger. The plots don't seem as intricate and intriguing anymore, but I'm able to pick up on the the political and gender issues which I missed when I read them in year five.

A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara. This was nominated for the Man Booker Prize this year, and I've seen it mentioned on a few blogs. It's a massive book, and definitely an experience to read. It traces the lives of four friends but focuses on Jude, whose past is slowly revealed throughout the book. It's dark and heartbreaking, the subjects it touches on are really upsetting and confronting. I don't know if "enjoyed" is the right word to use with this book, it was engrossing and I'm glad I read it, but I don't know if I'd read it again.

A Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. A re-read, I've had this book on my shelf for a couple of years. I guess most people would know the premise - it examines gender and the role of women in the context of a dystopian society. Again, since I last read it, I've been able to pick up more of the nuances. It's a good story in itself, but I would understand if the style isn't to everyone's liking.

Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith. I've been a big fan of JK Rowling's detective series so far. This book felt a little bit different to me, I think I prefer the first two books. The twist was a bit of a let down, but once I re-read it I could kind of appreciate the clues she had left. I got invested in the characters during the previous books so it was interesting to see the relationship develop over this book (I don't really like where it's going, though).

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith. Again another re-read from a few years back. There's a really good film adaptation of this book as well. This is a really charming coming of age story, funny but sad at parts. It's about a family who lives in poverty in a castle in 1930s England, from the point of view of teenager Cassandra, one of the daughters. Initially I loved the voice it was written in, but she started grating on me towards the end of the book... but I'd still recommend it!

This is a scheduled post, I'm currently overseas. I'm reading your comments via email, but won't be able to reply immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I'll make sure to check out your blog. If you've asked a question, hit "subscribe by email" below or check back for my reply.



Follow Deluminators on Blogger or Bloglovin'.