deluminators

     about     contact          blogroll     +

     about     contact     categories     blogroll     +

April 20, 2016

Reading slump


I've been in a reading slump since I got back to Sydney. Over travelling this summer, I'd mainly been re-reading YA books which are easy to concentrate on when I'm on a plane, train, or waiting around. After I got back, I tried to read heavier stuff but I couldn't get into it - I put down a couple of books without finishing them. I think there are good arguments on both sides for whether you should stop a book you're not enjoying or keep going with it, but generally reading before bed is my favourite time of day and I just wasn't looking forward to doing that with those books. But here are three I've managed to finish.

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. It's a psychological thriller, in the same vein as Gone Girl. A woman, who is (to put it lightly) a hot mess after her divorce, becomes involved in the disappearance of another woman who lives on the same street as her ex-husband and his current wife. It's gripping enough, but I picked up on what the twist was going to be maybe halfway through the book, and some of the events are kind of unrealistic. The atmosphere was generally uncomfortable, which I guess is a good thing because it managed to draw me in that much. They're making a movie based on this, apparently.

Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie. I kept saying that I mean to read more Agatha Christie, so when Nina mentioned Death on the Nile in my Nile post, I decided to give that one a go. I like detective novels (huge fan of a certain series by Arthur Conan Doyle), but I wasn't really feeling this one. I've read one other Agatha Christie book, And Then There Were None, and I felt that same about that as well. All the characters confused me, and I'm just not a fan of the style.

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. I enjoyed this one. It's a gothic sort of story-within-a-story, but written in a more modern way. It's about a woman who's been asked by one of the country's most famous writers to write her biography (which is as twisted as you expect in a gothic story), while she confronts her own issues from the past. The twist makes you do a bit of a double take (and is also a bit unrealistic), and then you realise that there have been clues all along. It's a fun and satisfying read, would recommend it.

Hopefully these ones have launched me out of the slump! Anyone got any recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I'll make sure to check out your blog. If you've asked a question, hit "subscribe by email" below or check back for my reply.



Follow Deluminators on Blogger or Bloglovin'.