deluminators

     about     contact          blogroll     +

     about     contact     categories     blogroll     +

May 28, 2016

Porto ii

Part i here.




Walking around the city centre.



This McDonalds used to be the Imperial Cafe.


They kept the Art Deco interior.


This... This is a francesinha. It's a dish from Porto and possibly the most hardcore sandwich in the world. It's got sausage, steak and ham in the middle, covered in melted cheese, and then a tomato based beer sauce, served with chips. I've got to say, it's a /bit/ too much for me (hard to believe I know). I'm not a vegetarian but it was a bit too much meat in one go.


We went to the Mercado do Bolhão, which sells fruits and vegetables and also seems to have quite a few souvenir stalls.



I'm not sure if it was the time of year we were there, or even time of the day or day of the week, but there seemed to be a general air of abandonment around.



Even the restaurants were all shut, permanently or not I'm not sure.



It was kind of eerie.



It's still interesting to walk around though so I'd still recommend a visit to pick up a tiny souvenir bottle of port or some fruit.


The next day, we hopped on the tram.



We went to Foz do Douro, where the Douro river meets the Atlantic ocean.



Yep, if your town as a lighthouse, I will find it.


It seemed quite a quiet area. We had lunch at this fancy cafe, where I could only afford a sandwich but it was too picturesque to not go in.



After going back into town we stopped into this ice cream parlour for a break from the walk up the hill.




We went to Porto Cathedral. The best thing here is the view.


The famous and beautiful São Bento station. We'd passed through here on arrival, but I wanted to have a second look without being weighed down by a backpack.




The tiles show historical scenes. Apparently there are twenty thousand.



Up the Clerigos tower for a view.

And that's the last of Portugal! Now I've just got my pictures from Copenhagen, Stockholm, Oslo and Tromsø left, so I guess there'll be a Scandinavia week next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I'll make sure to check out your blog. If you've asked a question, hit "subscribe by email" below or check back for my reply.



Follow Deluminators on Blogger or Bloglovin'.