deluminators

     about     contact          blogroll     +

     about     contact     categories     blogroll     +

October 16, 2016

Getting formal

So my graduation ball was last night, and this is what I ended up wearing. Disclaimer that I actually shot these this morning, because the photos I got a friend to help me take beforehand ended up a bit blurry (thanks anyway Jenny). Which is also why they're headless, because it would have just been my morning-after-a-party face.


Grana silk shell / Grana silk pants / Bass loafers.

I mentioned earlier that I'd been having trouble working out what to wear to the ball. I'd been thinking about buying a black dress I could wear again to various other formal-ish situations, but the only kinds of dresses I like are very casual ones. I then considered a jumpsuit as Nina suggested, but despaired of being able to find one that would actually fit properly all over. Then Meg's comment about passing off a top and skirt as a dress reminded me of Grana's matching silk separates, which I finally settled on. One of the main reasons I liked this idea was that I would be able to mix and match the top and pants into the rest of my wardrobe, so I would get more uses out of the set than I would a formal dress. I ended up going with navy because it looks more dressy than black (which I felt was more of a hip store assistant kind of look).

A note on the sizing, because reading other people's reviews really helped. I usually wear M or L in tops and got the silk shell in the M. It fits perfectly, definitely more on the M side. It's a boxy fit which I like, and hits right at the top of my hipbones which is the perfect length on me, but may a little short on anyone taller (I'm 5'3"). For pants I usually wear an S, but I initially ordered them in M based on the measurements. They turned out to be too roomy, so I ordered the S which fit perfectly. So just order your usual size! They have three different pant lengths too (thank you), and I got the shortest. In terms of service, ordering at Grana is generally painless; they have detailed measurements of each individual piece on their site and their shipping/returns fees to/from Australia are actually amazing in comparison to other international stores.


Fossil bag / Daniel Wellington watch and cuff*.

As for the accessories, these will be familiar. I'm so not into heels. I did order a pair of low block heeled sandals in an attempt to look more dressed up, but the bottom of the shoe was literally half the width of my sole so I sent them back and decided to just stick with comfort. The bag is my every day hospital bag which I took the strap off of and carried as a clutch. I don't wear or own much jewellery, so I went with my new Daniel Wellington black classic watch and the cuff to accessorise (by the way, you can use the code DELUMINATORS for 15% off on the site).

Anyway, it all worked out well! I didn't feel too casual or out of place and I was really comfortable all night. I did feel some pangs of envy over other people's beautiful long dresses but I think this will give me more long-term satisfaction. This was more about the outfit than anything ball-related so an actual post about that might come when I've gathered the photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I'll make sure to check out your blog. If you've asked a question, hit "subscribe by email" below or check back for my reply.



Follow Deluminators on Blogger or Bloglovin'.