deluminators

     about     contact          blogroll     +

     about     contact     categories     blogroll     +

October 13, 2016

Hobart ii

Part i here.

On the second day, I hopped on the ferry to the Museum of Old and New Art. MONA is a relatively new museum but I'd heard a lot about it. You can drive, take the bus, or catch the MONA ferry, and I'd figure I'd go for the last option for the chance to see more scenery.


Hobart, with Mt Wellington in the background.


The ferry itself has funky decorations.


Including these sheep...



The destination. Most of it is underground, built into the riverbed.


Everyone gets handed one of these. There aren't any description plaques on the walls in MONA; the touch screen guide is able to scan what pieces are closest to you, and you can select the one you can read more about. I actually really like this idea - mostly for the fact you can see quickly what's nearby, in case you missed something.




Those are... live fish. Hoping they're taking care of them properly!





I really liked this one, supersymmetry by Ryoji Ikeda. It felt like I was in a spaceship that was breaking down.


The main entrance.


Overall I have mixed feelings about MONA. I enjoyed it but I felt like it was trying too hard.


Back in the city, we walked through Battery Point, a historic neighbourhood of Hobart.






Had lunch at Jackman and McRoss, an old school bakery cafe. The pie was really good and my friends loved their dishes too.





Then walked back around to Salamanca Place.



We were trapped inside a toy store for a while because it started bucketing down, but when it cleared up we headed to the CBD to get snacks for our roadtrip the next day.

More Tasmania coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I'll make sure to check out your blog. If you've asked a question, hit "subscribe by email" below or check back for my reply.



Follow Deluminators on Blogger or Bloglovin'.