deluminators

     about     contact          blogroll     +

     about     contact     categories     blogroll     +

March 22, 2017

1 month in a carry-on: a review

Way too late to be relevant but I'd already edited these photos so I thought I might as well do this post! Also because I get to ramble on about both clothes and travelling, my two favourite topics. A review of what I packed in a carry on for my trip last December (that I still haven't finished posting about).


ASOS t-shirt / Cotton On drape pants in Antigua.


Whitepepper smock dress in Tulum.


Zara coat / Uniqlo jeans / broken H&M umbrella in NYC.


Dune boots that survived cobbles in Cuba and snow in NYC.

The heat
The dress was a lifesaver in the heat! I should've taken advice and packed a pair of shorts, though. Every second I was wearing those pants in Cuba and Mexico, I was wishing for shorts. I also want to rescind what I said about the Uniqlo ultra dry t-shirt being good to pack - it's good if you're able to wash things often since it dries quickly, but if you're not able to do so then you can definitely get more wears out of a 100% cotton shirt before it starts smelling.

The cold
I find cold weather easier to plan for, since once it gets below 5C there's only one outfit to really wear. My wool coat is absolutely horrible in windy rainy weather and snow though, water/snowflakes just stick to it like crazy. It stays warm, but I can literally feel it get heavier and heavier as the water soaks in. Serves me right for being vain and not wearing a sensible parka.

Shoes
My pair of Chelsea boots did heroically. They're the only pair of shoes I took aside from flip flops and it was fine. I did wish for sneakers on rougher ground on cobbles and ruins, and I definitely had trouble when it snowed on our last day in New York (more from being uncomfortably damp than cold), but they did their best. I did end up buying a pair of socks at Uniqlo in NYC (shown in the last photo), but mostly because the short socks I'd packed kept slipping down and were driving me crazy.

Toiletries
I posted what I was able to fit into a sandwich bag here. It was all fine, but I almost ran short of my cleanser before I got to NYC and was able to buy more - but now I know that 50ml of it can last me about two and a half weeks, and will titrate accordingly for future trips.

I loved being able to do carry-on only for a couple of the flights, it takes away all the stress about lost luggage. It was especially helpful when my flight out of Sydney was delayed and I missed the connecting flight in LA - I didn't have to freak out about collecting and re-checking my luggage. I think I'm going to aim to do carry-on for my flight out of Sydney for my next trip (which, yes, I've already started the packing list for).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I'll make sure to check out your blog. If you've asked a question, hit "subscribe by email" below or check back for my reply.



Follow Deluminators on Blogger or Bloglovin'.